Using D# key on flute

t's been 30+ years since I last played the flute. I rented a Yamaha flute from the local music store so that I could relearn it. I also own a Maestro open-hole flute. I noticed that when I play from low staff E up to above staff C (two lines above the staff) on both flutes, there is no change in tone quality when I depress the D# key. Just to make sure I'm playing the notes correctly, I played them using the TonalEnergy tuner. I don't see any difference in tone quality if I don't depress the D# key. What effect does pressing the D# key have on tone quality? If none, why depress it?

When I was learning flute, there was a lot of that extra fingering stuff that was *supposed* to make the note speak better and/or, for some flutes, make the note be in tune. As a doubler, I usually discounted most of that, but then I wasn't a soloist or playing with other flutists. YMMV.

Just for grins and giggles, who made Maestro flutes? I can't find anything on them.

When I was learning flute, there was a lot of that extra fingering stuff that was *supposed* to make the note speak better and/or, for some flutes, make the note be in tune. As a doubler, I usually discounted most of that, but then I wasn't a soloist or playing with other flutists. YMMV.
I'm a little late-to-the-clambake (this thread) but when I was learning flute (as a doubler in college) I decided to go all-in on the flute...so much so that when I bought my step-up flute (Gemeinhardt solid silver open-holed) I immediately threw away the plastic caps.... It was funky in the beginning; in-line open holes, D# key, F#, etc. but coming from clarinet/sax world I figured that I'd be best to bite-the-bullet and do it.
I am actually happy that I took the time/effort to do it. I have since played many gigs with other "real" flutists and can hold my own..... If I played F# with my RH middle finger I would be dis-owned by the other flutists - lol.

On my C flute: When I play my top-space E natural adding the D# key raises the pitch around three cents when I meter it...
..and yes, I just re-confirmed it a moment ago.
On that particular note the change in intonation is noticeable by ear.

I can't hear 3 cents, so I'm cool continuing to use it for balance. I can hear a slight timbre change though, but it's negligible. It took a lot of practice to train myself to do it correctly, so I'm not going to stop now.

Getting back to my premise, if not for balance, why does nearly every fingering above D include it? I bet it doesn't raise F and above 3 cents. Also, would you not find middle and high C more difficult to play without the Eb?

In any case, the balance thing is not my idea. It's established pedagogy. I was just surprised nobody in the thread mentioned the actual reason the key is used in so many fingerings.

Back
Top Bottom