Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Olympia Bass Sax

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
A tech friend of mine has come across a bass sax with the marking "Olympia". Can anyone shed some light on this brand, or stencil? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just purchased an Olympia alto sax from Goodwill auction (im picking up tomorrow) because it's features were similar to the Rene Duval horn I have, which I've come to understand was probably made by Italian maker, Orsi. You know better than I do that with stencils you can never really tell until you start looking at specific things, but Orsi apparently did offer a Bass Sax of it's own making.

http://bassic-sax.info/blog/?p=6157

so Orsi is one possibility. I don't think there's too many others because who else besides Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Orsi, and Kohlert made Bass Saxophones?

A tech friend of mine has come across a bass sax with the marking "Olympia". Can anyone shed some light on this brand, or stencil? Thanks.

Do you happen to have any pics? That would likely tell us.

Oh, is it a bass or bari? The thread title is bari, but in your description you call it a bass. Just checking.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

:)

I guess your right. when I think about it again I get Holton and Keilwerth in my head as vintage bass makers too. I think I should just poke around Helen's site some more...

;)

Well, as far as Keilwerth is concerned, it'd probably be up to how you define the word "vintage." I'd have to check, but I think that there were some pre-WWII Keilwerth basses, but they're stencils. Helen might know off the top of her head. Me? I'm just at lunch :D.

I know that a majority of Holton/EA Couturier basses aren't from Holton/EA. HN White (King) may have made a couple of their own basses, too, but the majority were Conn or Buescher stencils. All the Martin basses I've seen have been stencils. However, as soon as you jump over to Europe, you've got dozens of companies that made basses. Some companies, particularly Germanic ones, built an entire line of basses, including models in C.

Back
Top Bottom