Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

So I got that Nobley thingy.

Here are some updates on the project.

100_3423.JPG

I am still somewhere in the middle of this project. As I've mentioned above I've finished polishing the keys and posts of the lower joint. I'm now about half way through polishing the keys on the top half and once finished with remove the posts and polish those as well. While I had it down to just the bare joint, I treated it with wood cleaner and wax I bought from http://doctorsprod.com. I personally think it turned out pretty well.

100_3424.JPG

100_3426.JPG

Man, I'm getting tired of key polishing.....

Looking good. I see from your blog that you dabble in bonsai too. Me too, tho I've lost more than I've kept

I've found the top register pip in a few Noblet's i've reconditioning needed slight expansion. Giving it a deeper and more powerful tone. Though drilling out of the register vent requires utmost care as a bit too much can create large pressure deviation issues which can cause 8th and reed/mpc combo issues. But if you get it right they certainly do sing.

yeah Bonsai is something Im pretty much out of now as I live in a town home with no plausible backyard or wintering place. Also, I killed nearly everything....

I still have a ficus I have neglected except for watering...

Update: For the most part, polishing is done. I am now as enthused about this project as I've ever been. Turns out one of the best tools for removing crap from the keys are silicone polishing wheels. Music Medic has them and it made the job go a LOT faster. The fine and ultra find work great by themselves for small parts like the posts which took much longer using a fiber bit.

This register system is slightly crazy. I'm going to have to figure it out. It has adjustment screws, but none of them reach far enough to offer much in the way of actual adjustment. Will probably have to source some of these.

This register system is slightly crazy. I'm going to have to figure it out. It has adjustment screws, but none of them reach far enough to offer much in the way of actual adjustment. Will probably have to source some of these.
FWIW, on some of the very late SML horns, they had adjustment screws, but they didn't do anything. I'm not necessarily saying that another manufacturer of a completely different instrument did that, but I'd say it's possible.

Sounds like a labor of love, talk about perseverance. There are craftsmen and then there are artists. This is like a story, a long time in telling, that could have an interesting ending. Will you play it, or will a grandchild? :)

I have a goal of becoming semi-competent at Clarinet by the time I put a reed and mouthpiece on this thing. So far, I am easily on track.... :)

I'm going to maybe try to drill down the countersink on these screws. Right now, I am down to the fun parts, padding and wood cosmetics.

Well, this is the first time picking it up in a few years. I ended up this past bit overhauling a bari that was in may ways just as bad as shape as this Bass. The bari was a lot more fun to do and it is in its "final tweaks" phase.

And I'm a little better on clarinet, but I have failed to keep it up enough. I might actually finish the project before I'm proficient on clarinet...

I have just ordered what I believe to be the final materials needed. The bell isn't original. I've seen other Noblets with this style of bell, but the tenon socket is about an eight-inch too long for this instrument. Lets see how well this works because I don't often see vito/leblanc bells.

It also had its thumb rest pilfered and replaced with a sop clarinet rest. I have ordered a replacement.

Lastly, I ordered what I hope fit the existing peg mount in order to complete the floor peg assembly.

Its hitting the home stretch. Replaced tenon corks, something I simply suck at. Pads are all in, keys are on. Going to do final leak detection this week.....hopefully...

Back
Top Bottom