Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

FAQ

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Q. What's this new forum category?
A. Blame SOTSDO.

A couple weeks ago, SOTSDO (Terry, Old King Log, or Lord Hater of Alto Clarinets, if you prefer) recommended that we have a Music Business forum category. I made a couple alterations to his originally requested forum areas, but kept most of his forum descriptions and titles. My opinion is that this is a needed forum category. I've been with a couple of "touring" groups and I've also not only set up a music department, but tried to form my own band. If I had some better advice, my life would have been easier.

As SOTSDO is the requester of this forum category, he's now the official CE of this area; conga-rats! I can and will pare down or build up categories as needed or as requested.

Thanks for the intro

My intent here is twofold:

1) To try and help others by describing the pitfalls that a music businessperson will encounter

2) To obtain help myself - I fully realize that I am not the end all and be all of anything that anyone else here is likely to be interested in.

Since I've been charged with the group that I dubbed Sounds Of The South Dance Orchestra, I've learned ('learnt') a lot of things. Sometimes the process was as smooth as ice on Teflon, others as rough as a ripsaw on your thumb. But, once learned, they tend to stay with you.

So, feel free to ask questions, and offer solutions. As time goes on, I'll be adding some of the stuff that I've developed over the years. Some of it is ready to scroll in right now, or it will be so once I get the spare time. (I'm in the midst of a huge marketing campaign right now, and I have to hunt down a new CD printer for same.) Other portions will develop as I go along.

However, most of the cute topics put up by Pete have some basis in my past experience. So, if you wonder what they mean, be patient and you will find out.

Finally, I realize that most musicians aren't in it for the money. I myself have been on and off over the years. After about ten pro years, I put my horns aside for my ten year first marriage, and for the first thirteen of my second, I only did amateur stuff. It's dependent on a lot of factors, and I had no real intention of starting up again.

But, the dividing line between an amateur and a pro is a very fine one. One night, while horribly sick with the 'flu (and after a eight hundred mile trip in rough winter weather to boot), I got "the call", asking me to sub for a missing player that very evening. And, after four hours of intense sight reading, a damn'd fine dinner, and a nice enough payday, I found myself back on the bus.

Anyway, there's a lot more along those lines in the offing. If it helps any of you, so much the better. And, if you want to remain outside the world of money grubbing, I can't say that I blame you. If I had to make a living out of "play for pay", I'd not be in a happy place myself. For those who feel that way, please feel free to pass me by.

Back
Top Bottom