Andre Peron France Metal Clarinet

Bought a Nickel Copper (German Sliver) Andre Peron France Bb clarinet for the experience of repair. The body is 1-piece, metal barrel and mouthpiece. The barrel to body joint seems to be built way too tight to have cork. One wrap of cloth tape on the body where the cork belongs and the barrel fits over tight. The body has circumfrencal ridges, the barrel ID is smooth, so the tape has a series of tight "rings" that seems to seal correctly. Has anyone ever heard of a non-cork joint? The ID of the barrel is 17.0 mm (0.670") and the OD of the body joint is 16.45 mm (0.648"). In other words, I'd need cork that is slightly over 1/4 of a mm (0.011") thick after sanding.

Attachments

• Barrel Joint.jpg
    Barrel Joint.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 377
I have a very old metal Eb which has metal-to-metal sealing where the barrel fits into the body of the instrument. There is a pinch screw, as on some saxes, to hold it in place. Depending on the age of the instrument it may be that you have a joint that is intended to be threaded rather than corked. I've seen these on old clarinets and flutes.

I have a very old metal Eb which has metal-to-metal sealing where the barrel fits into the body of the instrument. There is a pinch screw, as on some saxes, to hold it in place. Depending on the age of the instrument it may be that you have a joint that is intended to be threaded rather than corked. I've seen these on old clarinets and flutes.
They are rings, not threads, more like a laybrinth seal, just like the surface on the mouthpiece that is getting new cork.

By a threaded joint I didn't mean a joint with a screw thread, I meant a joint where the sealing is provided by a wrapping of thread instead of a layer of cork. You'll often find this used on old woodwind instruments. The joint was built up to the required thickness by layers of thread and sometimes the thread layers were shellacked or varnished to add strength. See this url to illustrate the technique.
http://www.flute-a-bec.com/jointsgb.html

Back
Top Bottom