Used Woodwinds

Hello just had a quick question for you all. I bought a pretty decent Bass Clarinet off eBay recently. I'm wondering is it safe to use a used instrument like this one I have a new mouth piece for it and have cleaned it very well. just curious I haven't ever thought about it even when I used to play a used saxophone. Thanks In advance

As long as you clean it well before you play it there should be no problems. Give it a rubdown with an alcohol swab. Consider this. When you buy a cup of coffee from you favourite cafe do you seriously imagine that you are the only person who has ever drunk from that cup?

It appears that the OP is questioning the safety of playing the horn, not the mouthpiece. Looking on line, it appears that most germs live on hard surfaces for up to 4 or 5 days. My 100 year old wooden BC was overhauled, and treated with almond oil. It still took years, sitting on a stand, for the nasty smell to go away. I'm not sure if the germs lingered that long, but it's too late to worry about it now :)

I would think that as long as the mouthpiece is clean, then you would be OK with it, unless you have a compromised immune system.

As long as you clean it well before you play it there should be no problems. Give it a rubdown with an alcohol swab. Consider this. When you buy a cup of coffee from you favourite cafe do you seriously imagine that you are the only person who has ever drunk from that cup?
Thanks I was just curious very true about the coffee thing. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks so much for your help. And yes I bought a new mouthpiece and have cleaned the instrument very well
It appears that the OP is questioning the safety of playing the horn, not the mouthpiece. Looking on line, it appears that most germs live on hard surfaces for up to 4 or 5 days. My 100 year old wooden BC was overhauled, and treated with almond oil. It still took years, sitting on a stand, for the nasty smell to go away. I'm not sure if the germs lingered that long, but it's too late to worry about it now :)

I would think that as long as the mouthpiece is clean, then you would be OK with it, unless you have a compromised immune system.
h for

Back
Top Bottom