Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

More Smilies???

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
OK, so I know this is rather trivial ;), but...I was wondering if anyone from the admin team has considered adding some other smilies to the board :?:

While our current selection is OK :D , there are so many others out there that are useful in coveying some great feelings/emotions/actions (I'm thinking of the beating of a dead horse with a stick one)...You know...Those kind of things. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Anyways, just offering up something for consideration. :cool:

Reactions: Ed
You may have noticed that I've actually added three: male/female geezer and the Borg one.

My favorite "smilies" I've ever added were the musical notation ones on SOTW -- I actually had to make a couple of those.

Anyhow, two things:

1. There are a variety of smilies and "smiley packs" that are available to phpBB 3. If you see one you like, just let us know.
2. We may be doing some other forum upgrades in the (near) future, so we may be delaying adding things like smilies until the upgrades are complete -- it just makes life easier. However, again, if you find something you like, just point us in the right direction with a linky. I can say that I've been told the best smilies are at http://www.smiley-channel.de.

I have actually used your new smilies in posts already :borg: ...I know, I know...It's a sickness.... :geezer1: :D

Thanks for that link to the smilie page. It will be fun to poke around in there. (Good thing I'm German, since at first glance there's not a word of english to be seen.) I think the creating a smilie section will be interesting to explore....Maybe I can make one for my website... :emoji_rage:

I know what a pain these phpBBs are to update. About 4 years ago I created and managed a on-line library for health professionals that had a bulletin board. Yuck....Everytime there was a security upgrade, or changes to the software (which happened at maddening regularity at the time) we'd be tearing our hair out. The smilies were just one more thing to contend with....

Thanks for all the work you do for us Pete :!: ...You're a great guy... :cool: Or is it :ugeek: :?: ;)

I've been voted the world's worst person to have facial hair, so I'll accept the smiley with the sunglasses.

I've seen pics of Jim. He's a close second. :p

(If you're wondering "who" told me: ex-wife, current wife and daughter #1.)

Lost Smilies

So now that we've switched to the new board, we've lost all our smilies. Are we going to get them back again? How will I ever be able to express emotions on this board again? (You see the quandary? You can't tell if I'm laughing, crying, teasing, or having a meltdown...)

How will I ever be able to express emotions on this board again? (You see the quandary? You can't tell if I'm laughing, crying, teasing, or having a meltdown...)
Use your words, choose them wisely... <insert blank smiley here>

So now that we've switched to the new board, we've lost all our smilies. Are we going to get them back again? How will I ever be able to express emotions on this board again? (You see the quandary? You can't tell if I'm laughing, crying, teasing, or having a meltdown...)
IIRC, you have 46 smilies -- unless you're using the "quick reply" thing. Click on "go advanced".

Which ones do you want?

IIRC, you have 46 smilies -- unless you're using the "quick reply" thing. Click on "go advanced".

I might be denser than grenadilla wood - I just see the smilies that attach to the title of the post. Unless I click on the "Slimeys are on" in the posting rules box waaaaaaay down which subsequently pops up another window.

(but I'm not much of a smiley fan, except from the usual say 10 types. Else I find myself googling against "smiley resembling Grampa Simpson while smoking the corn cob pipe" or so...)

I might be denser than grenadilla wood - I just see the smilies that attach to the title of the post. Unless I click on the "Slimeys are on" in the posting rules box waaaaaaay down which subsequently pops up another window.

(but I'm not much of a smiley fan, except from the usual say 10 types. Else I find myself googling against "smiley resembling Grampa Simpson while smoking the corn cob pipe" or so...)
Yah. You click on the "more" link to see all 46. Unless you're not using the Enhanced WYSIWYG editor (check your User CP waaaay at the bottom).

I can make it display more slimeys (hereafter, they will be called this) on one page, but that will also make the page load slower.

... and I've tested it with a plain user account. You've got teh option!

Enhanced WYSIWYG editor

Ugh. I'm using a telnet session. I grew up with black screens and green letters thereon. It was called WYGIWIGY then (What You Get Is What IBM Giveth You).

Ugh. I'm using a telnet session. I grew up with black screens and green letters thereon. It was called WYGIWIGY then (What You Get Is What IBM Giveth You).

I like that.

I remember a time when you had two choices - green screen or amber screen! :emoji_relaxed:

I don't know what to tell you Pete. :confused: Since we switched to the new forum, my reply to thread box has not had any options on it. No font, attachments, smilies, nothing. Just a box for a text message with no options. Just now, when I went to reply, the window is different. :emoji_astonished:

Before the only options I had were the post icons options. Weird...I haven't changed my settings on the board, my browser, nothing...Gremlins...:-?

So to answer your question...I'm a happier camper now...

Thank you for the smilies. I'm no longer :cry:

I don't know what to tell you Pete. :confused: Since we switched to the new forum, my reply to thread box has not had any options on it. No font, attachments, smilies, nothing. Just a box for a text message with no options. Just now, when I went to reply, the window is different. :emoji_astonished:

Before the only options I had were the post icons options. Weird...I haven't changed my settings on the board, my browser, nothing...Gremlins...:-?

So to answer your question...I'm a happier camper now...

Thank you for the smilies. I'm no longer :cry:
That's because I looked at your user options and you had the editor set to "basic". I set it to "Enhanced".

Told ya ... you've gotta check that User CP :p

Back
Top Bottom