Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Celtic flute options for beginners

I don't have a lot of spare money, so can't go for an expensive flute, but I don't want to waste my time on something that's not playable either.
I was wondering about something like an M&E flute because they're in a price range I could afford now. They have a good sound on youtube videos from what I can tell and seem to play well (not knowing anything about celtic flutes really, but knowing a little about flutes).
Reviews seem to be generally positive.
Can people tell me if that's correct? Are they a good starting place? Are there better options in a similar price range? (If so, can people please tell me what the pros/cons of those other options are, as compared to the M&E flutes?)
Secondly, I was wondering whether it's better to go with polymer or wood? I live in a hot/variable climate (Australia) and I know nothing about caring for a wooden flute, so I thought a polymer type one might be a safer option to begin with, but are they inferior in terms of sound/playability, etc? What do people think?
Finally, what do people think about keyed vs keyless for beginners?
Obviously I've played a keyed flute for many years, but it's quite a different thing to celtic music and I'm trying to get the hang of moving my fingers quickly enough... I guess I wonder whether keys might just get in the way of learning at this stage.
But then I don't want to limit my options if keys are essential in the long run.
(Though if I like playing and continue at it, I'd certainly be hoping to buy a decent flute in a few years and could get a keyed one then - as long as keyless would suit the first few years of playing).

If anyone can help with all my questions, I'd be hugely grateful.

I've lost a lot of money trying to make cheap, inexpensive instruments work. Is there someone local, who you respect, who might help you with the selection of a flute? It is such a pain to find a good instrument that you can afford, so sometimes you'll just want to save up for a pro horn. That's what I ended up doing after buying two used, inexpensive bass clarinets. I fought playing them for over a year and finally bit the bullet and got a very nice used Buffet and was immediately rewarded with the ability to play from top to bottom of the instrument with no squeaks. Good luck!

Changed the thread title to make it a bit more applicable.

As I was somewhat interested, I did a quick Google and saw that one place was selling 3D printed Irish flutes for $799. There are several different Irish flute 3D models out there, so if you want one for the cost of a couple spools of 3D resin, there ya go. Of course, you'd also need the 3D printer. However, the printer and the resin might still be cheaper than the $799 price tag.

While I don't necessarily think that you have to get a pro horn, you should do what Gandalfe mentions and have someone you know that plays the Irish flute as their main instrument pick something out. Barring that, get some flute reviews from other forums that specialize in Irish flute. I know they're out there.

I decided to not get into the discussion regarding wood care, as I've rarely used wood care products. I do know that over-humidifying wood can cause cracks and dry wood can easily become dry rot. However, if you're inside all the time, this might not be a real issue.

As a begineer this Jean Paul USA FL-220 will be a great choice. From the reviews of this and other brands, this seemed like the best quality for the money and the seller seemed to be above-board. Boy, did I hit the jackpot with those two items. Even though I am a rank beginner, I was able to produce notes that made a pretty good imitation of music. With a little practice, they would probably grow into real music, but I can already see the improvement.

As a begineer this Jean Paul USA FL-220 will be a great choice. From the reviews of this and other brands, this seemed like the best quality for the money and the seller seemed to be above-board. Boy, did I hit the jackpot with those two items. Even though I am a rank beginner, I was able to produce notes that made a pretty good imitation of music. With a little practice, they would probably grow into real music, but I can already see the improvement.
I'm glad you're happy, but I don't think that qualifies as a Celtic flute. Also any site that ranks Jean Paul above Yamaha and goes on and on about flutes weighing 2+ pounds is pretty dubious to me.

Back
Top Bottom