Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

5 Digit Selmer Bass Missing Parts

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
I tried posting this under the repair and maintenance section, but seem to have problems with not being able to stay logged in there, so I'll post here until it can be moved over...

I was speaking to a repair tech from Vancouver the other day. He has a 5 digit Selmer bass, he thinks it's a VI, but isn't sure, that is missing all the left hand keys and assemblies.

The bass belonged to an elderly gentlemen who had many horns. He had taken his bass apart and was in the process of putting it back together (all the right hand keys and assemblies were put back on) when he suffered a medical emergency. Long story short, the man ended up in care. His sons decided to "clean up" his shop and sell off all the horns. In the clean up process, all the left hand keys and their various components were thrown out.

The tech called me and was wondering if he could come over and look at my bass so that he could look it over and take some photos. I told him sure, but I rather doubted that my 1922 Buescher would have much in common with a Mark VI. I offered to see if any of the bass players from here and the Bass Sax Co-op had a vintage Selmer, and might be willing to provide him with some info as well.

The tech's plan is to eventually manufacture the missing pieces. (He is European, and I think he is a tool and die maker by trade.) This is going to be a longterm project for him, and something he plans to do in dribs and drabs as he has the time.

So if anyone here has a Selmer of roughly that vintage, and would be willing to assist Dave, please let me know.

Thanks all....helen

I cross listed it here and in the bass section. And check to see if your account is working properly, now. I logged in as you and it is.

pete said:
I have a whole bunch of Mark VI bass pics at http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/selmer/mark_vi/bass/ and a few SBA pics at http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/selm ... ss/silver/. Both might be helpful to provide ideas, at the very least.

I doubt that the SBA and VI basses are much different, or at all. I do think Ed might buy it if the price is right :).

I highly doubt the price would be great given the recent upswing of the project bass sax market. I'm thinking it will just be cheaper to build my own (and I'm only half kidding).

I think designing and building an actual bass saxophone would be difficult for one person. It's that conical bore. Contrabass/bass clarinet? Easier.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to make the tube. I'm giving that some thought now. Then I have to figure out how to draw tone holes.

I'm playing around conceptually with doing the tube in Carbon Fiber or something. That way you could have the tone holes be a part of the wrap and then use brass tone rings ala Keilwerth that are affixed with epoxy to the carbon fiber.

Back
Top Bottom