A Little Bass Music: Andreas van Zoelin

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Re: Eb Tubax

I so luv Andreas' stuff; he comes as close to a contra bassoon or stringed bass sound as any bass sax player I know. I was trying to make my bari sax sound like a bassoon for 'A Chorus Line' theater pit orchestra gig that I had last year. I thought of Andreas and went with a synthetic soft reed. Couldn't get away with that for a jazz gig! :ugeek:

I'll split these last couple posts off into the Bass Sax area in a bit.

What kind of bass is he playing? I was pretty sure, from the engraving, it was a newish Selmer and then I saw the neck. Custom neck or odd horn?

He's got a dreaded 3-caster stand? I'd never put a bass in one!

=========

I like the tone (and the tune), but I play that way on bari :).

Seriously: I really did try to cultivate that kind of tone on bari and tone was what got me as far as I did, because I'm otherwise quite an average player. I'm waaaaaaay out of practice, but I think I can get my chops back there when and if my bari comes back from the shop.

Groovekiller said:
In the video of the Van Dijk piece, I think it's a Keilwerth bass with an added neck brace, but I'm not positive.
You may be right: the SX90 has started to get some of the Selmer flower-like engraving and both have rather long necks.

For some reason, I'm locked out of MySpace (not that that's a tragic thing), so I can't see more pics to compare.

Back
Top Bottom