Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Adolphe Edouard Sax Alto On eBay

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. Automatic octave key and front high f key. Probably no articulated g# though. And a couple of extra trill keys down on the right hand. A few minor features seem to carry over to a 1936 or '37 Selmer Balanced Action that I own. Very interesting.

Thanks Helen.

Julian

Extra keys

Looks like an alternate G#, and an Eb bis key (pad on top of pad). Interesting!

Did Not Do the Research

Taking a little break from what I was working on.

I've mentioned that I'm a fan of tvtropes.org. One of the tropes -- you can think of a trope as a plot element or plot problem that is very common in a semi- to very amusing way -- is called "Did Not Do the Research". There are a ton of examples there, so I'm not going to bother here.

There's another place that is also selling an AE Sax ... for $6500. If you or a loved one knows these guys, please inform them that Antoine-Joseph Sax, the inventor of the saxophone, died in 1894. That kinda means that an instrument that has "Médaille d'or 1900" stamped on the bell would probably not have been made by him ....

This Adolphe Sax (Fils) was made at the Adolphe Fax factory by the inventor's son. It's not one of the instruments built at the Selmer factory bearing the name of the inventor's son. This horn is like the one in the photo in Jaap Kool's book, "Das Saxophon" in which he claims that the instrument has "secondary parabolic curves" in the bore. I'd like to measure it, and I'll bet he bore is straight as an arrow unless somebody leaned on it heavily to remove dents.

The most interesting thing for me is the alternate high F mechanism - It lifts both the high E key and the high F key. I think it was intended to make the high Eb to high F interval easier, eliminating the fingering that used 2 hands.

Back
Top Bottom