Alibaba / AliExpress identified as a "notorious market"

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator

Alibaba/ Aliexpress was added to the "notorious markets" list by the U.S. Trade Representative's office.
These "markets" are reported to engage in or facilitate substantial trademark counterfeiting or copyright piracy.

"This includes identifying for the first time AliExpress and the WeChat e-commerce ecosystem, two significant China-based online markets that reportedly facilitate substantial trademark counterfeiting," the USTR office said in a statement.

China-based online markets Baidu Wangpan, DHGate, Pinduoduo, and Taobao also continue to be part of the list, along with nine physical markets located within China "that are known for the manufacture, distribution, and sale of counterfeit goods," the USTR office said.

China does not agree with the U.S. government's decision to include some e-commerce sites in its notorious markets list, calling the action "irresponsible," the Chinese ministry of commerce said on Friday.

Now I might have to find another source for the newly release Selmer Supremeo $750 version from China. :p
FakeSelmerSupreme.jpg

Last edited:
I had bought Alibaba and CNOOC China Nat'l Offshore Oil Corp stock back when they became available.
But I had found out afterwards that the stock really was not stock in the company, but was stock in a "holding company" in the US or HongKong.
This was back when before it was exposed that the "books" of many China companies were "not real" and many were simply made up. Of course, a holding company's stock does not give one insight, nor auditing ability of that one's real company's financials.

I sold my stocks soon after finding out about that because the stock price was based on .. well, nothing.
I'm not sure how it is now, but I do have a Mutual Fund of Asian (mostly Chinese and Taiwaniese) stocks.

I also wouldn't mind a Supreme or Ref54 at sub $800 .. but for some reason I think they're all fake.
Good bet. ;)
I paid over $1k back in 1982 for my VII ... I would think they'd cost quite a bit more nowadays.
I guess I got a really good deal then. When I was in school, I got the Mark VI tenor I have now, from a community band. The 20-something player who owned it had died in a car accident, so her parents donated it to the band as a fund raiser. It was $1000 in 1980. Kick ass horn. Other than a couple of dings in the bell where it had a minor run in with heavy floor mics at festivals, it looks exactly the same.

I've bought one or two things. No real problem, other than a rather long shipping time.

I've read, elsewhere, if the product you want is really made in China -- i.e. not copied in China -- that you can save yourself some good cash.

However ...
Selmer Mark VI for $350.
When it's so bad, they pixelate the brand name.
A sax only people named Mark can play.
Selmer isn't the only brand copied.
oh yeah, I want some Yamaha 875 too for $550ish
My favorite Yamaha .. better than the purple 62, and 855 and the 2 flavors of the later 82Z (though I haven't played an 82Z in a long long time).

they have mk VII copies too.

I purchased a vertical bass flute last year from China. I think I saw it on listed on Alibaba but after making contact, it felt like I was dealing direct with the manufacturing company.

I noticed that most vertical bass flutes had the same case design and key layout. The sellers name was engraved on the same instrument and the price was doubled. So I got a “Claitman” direct from China. Only took 2-3 weeks to get to NJ. I had $90 of work done locally to fix a headjoint leak. Less than $2000 Total.

Back
Top Bottom