Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Alternate fingering

We are playing a concert next month and have a few measures that are quite hard to play in a fast tempo. So we are looking for alternate fingering to help us out.
1663574438867.png

Mainly the 4 measures on the second line are almost impossible to play at a tempo of 136. Does anybody have some tips that we could try out?
Any help is appreciated :)

Well, it'd probably be helpful if you had a full Boehm clarinet. You'd have a low Eb key. That's a serviceable middle Bb.

This chart has some of the side/trill key fingerings and that might help, but I don't think you necessarily need the alternate fingerings.

I would recommend ...

a) Memorize it. It's a lot easier to memorize it than think, "A, D, A, D," when you get to the phrase.
b) That you try a method I learned 35+ years ago (yes, I'm the Highlander): play the A as long as you want, then play the D as quickly as possible, then play the A, etc. After you've done this for a few measures, reverse it: play the A as quickly as possible, then play the A as long as you want, etc. So:

Long as you want, as quickly as possible, long as you want, etc. Then ...
Quickly as possible, long as you want, quickly as possible, etc.

When you've done this a couple times, try playing the phrase in time. I've astounded a couple people with the results. I don't remember which of my teachers taught me this trick, but I thank them all. Note that you shouldn't try to do this method with the entire page/piece at once. Just a few measures at a time.

I don't pretend to be a pro clarinet player and it's been a loooooong time since I played clarinet.

I've tried to get some advice from pro players, but they indeed don't know an easier way to play this. We'll just have to try and play it.
Thought about playing it on my Eb. Which would make it alot easier to play. :)

I have some similar tricks I learned from my clarinet teacher. She always advised to practice difficult parts by changing the rhythm a bit (long and short notes as you mention). I guess it helps with muscle memory.

The top excerpt is doable but the bottom one.......would lay so much easier on an Eb clar (as notes above).

It kind of reminds me of some of the tunes that the "comp majors" would write back in college...
Right off the bat we could tell what grade they got in "orchestration class"...alto sax parts with written notes "off the horn" (high G/A/B)... lol.
Piano majors' compositions were interesting as they rarely allowed time for breathing....

Just out of curiosity: What is the song?

It's a Titanic Medley (James Horner) arranged by Takashi Hoshide. We're playing quite some pieces arranged by Japanese composers lately and I have the impression they don't always know the technical limitations of certain instruments.

We're playing quite some pieces arranged by Japanese composers lately and I have the impression they don't always know the technical limitations of certain instruments.
With notation software being used these days (I use Finale btw) it is easy to compose/listen/revise and then print the parts...now are the parts playable - that's where knowing orchestration comes in.
One of the musical things that I do is lead a classical trio (flute/violin/cello) that gigs the wedding circuit in my area. We use the standard print classical (Corelli, Haydn, etc.) music available to all trios but I also do the arranging (of pop tunes) for the group as we play many cocktail sets.
My arrangements have the violinist playing "double-stops" quite often and without knowing the instrument's limitations (orchestration) things would be unplayable....sometimes I need to alter the key of a song to put the violinist's part in a register where he can play it.
Arrangements/compositions done with notation software will sound great in play-back (in the software) but may not be practical to perform.

Back
Top Bottom