Another Kohlert Regent Stencil

Pity when they get in this condition. Is that price correct? Seems crazy.

Does look like a Winnenden made sax. Those keyguards alwys look crude and flimsy to me.

Mmm... Let me see. I think I happen to have one of those. Oh here it is... ;) I know, I know Pete, you probably didn't know it existed. And to be fair, I don't have an isolated shot of the pant guard. I do have as many large, shots of a Regent as you might want to see, to properly do the comparison. The bell to body brace & the key guards, are the 2 features that immediately tell me that the horn in your gallery are a Regent stencil.

There are an obvious differences as well. The neck brace is a throwback to an earlier model. Tenor 4114 has the same neck brace.

BTW, after spending nearly a year playing this Regent, I can tell you that it is a very good horn. Its main problem is that it is still original in all aspects, and needs an overhaul. (Corks, felts, & yes, even pads.) It was built as an upper-level intermediate model sax, and can keep up quite handily with my pro horns in the area of intonation, tone, and to some degree ergos. (Obviously a Mark VI will beat it in the ergo dep't.) It's main issue is that is not 100% even in scale, but, since it needs an overhaul, it's not possible to say with 100% certainty that is related to the fact that the horn is still how it left the factory in 1963--although I suspect it is. BTW, I am likely making the evenness of scale sounding worse than it really is. I am just extremely picky. There are only a couple of notes affected, which is why I believe it to be a (lack of) maintenance issue.

I've sorta touched on this, elsewhere. One of the big problems I've seen with some big Germanic manufacturers is that while they're supposed to be X, Y and Z models, it's hard to find them. As a "for instance," Helen lists that G.H. Hüller made four different models: Imperial, Artist, Olymp, and Orpheus. I've seen a couple dozen Hüllers, now, and I've seen a grand total of three that are engraved with any of those names. I've also seen that some manufacturers had other models that I've never heard of. Keilwerth Lus, anyone?

Referring specifically to the Regent and most other post-WWII Kohlerts, I think that the bare brass/lacquer thing might be their cheapest "model" or "package." I've seen some absolutely beautiful ones in silver plate or nickel plate, too.

*Sigh* So much to investigate, so little time.

Pity when they get in this condition. Is that price correct? Seems crazy.

Does look like a Winnenden made sax. Those keyguards alwys look crude and flimsy to me.
1650 Euros is what it sold at. The seller should be thrilled.

Back
Top Bottom