Bass clarinet register key

I just received my used Vito-Reso bass. It's in great shape and sounds good. It has all new pads. It plays fine except for one thing...

The register key. It is positioned lower than the thumb key forcing me to slide my thumb downward (over the thumb key) to hit the register key.

Is there a way to raise the register key that I can do? Or, would it be prudent to have a tech do it?

Thx

If you have to ask, you probably should not do it yourself. Then again, there are some that don’t ask that should have.

For temporary DIY help you can try a couple of layers of mouthpiece bite patches on the key.

A fix might involve bending the key up and putting a thicker cork under the key. It depends on if the rest of the mechanism is actuating the pad openings the way it should.

I just picked up my bass clarinet from the repair shop. The notes are fuller and rounder; however, the lower register key is at a different level than the thumb (F) key. That said, when I try to play cross from Bb to B, I have to roll my thumb over more than I do with my Bb (see images).

Also, is the adjustment screw for the register key supposed to stick out as far as it does?

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• Register Key Linkage adjustmentScrew .jpg
    Register Key Linkage adjustmentScrew .jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 208
  • Register Key lower than thumb key.jpg
    Register Key lower than thumb key.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Register Key lower than thumb key_view_2.jpg
    Register Key lower than thumb key_view_2.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 221
Back