Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Bassoon problem

Hi everyone.
Last week I completely restored a Selmer Signet Soloist Basoon.
Antes e Depois Peq.jpg
Everything looks and sounds perfect but from low E to low A.
Every time those notes are played with a bit more air, right away it "jumps" to the harmonic in the upper octave.
If pinky F# key is squeezed with something, like a rubber band or a wood wedge, the bassoon plays correctly.
The hole has been checked and refaced, the spring has been strengthened and I tried with both sheep skin and synthetic pads.
Nothing seems to solve the problem.
If a key were not sealing properly should not play well below low E (I think).
Any one has an idea on what can be happening?
I'm going crazy with it (a bit more)...
Thank you and hope someone can help me.

Before offering a comment, it would help us to know your level of experience repairing woodwinds.

Before offering a comment, it would help us to know your level of experience repairing woodwinds.

Thanks Mr jbtsax.
I have plenty of experience repairing wind instruments.
6 years of my own business and 4 more working as an assistant technician.
Both woodwind and brass instruments.
I'm also in a Patent registration process of several machines for musicians and repairers.

Is the first time it happens in a bassoon. All the pads are sealing, I guess...
Trying the bassoon with another body parts (from other instruments) I manage to discover that the problem is in the tenor joint.
Because is late in Portugal O can't continue with it today. Tomorrow early in the morning I will double check all the tenor joint.
If I find something unusual I'll be pleased to share it with the forum community.

Wedging the F# key closed to make the notes respond is not related to the problem being in the upper joint---unless there are perhaps multiple issues causing the octave jump. I assume you have checked the pads using a feeler gauge. The Mag Machine is a useful tool to chase down leaks in woodwinds. Please let us know what you come up with.

Could there be a leak at the cork connection? Perhaps the spring for f# isn't strong enough and and the pad opens when you push air through?
Just a thought from a unexperienced bassoon player ...

I neglected to mention what a beautiful finish job you have done on that instrument. It is stunning work. Would you mind sharing your technique to produce those stripes.

I neglected to mention what a beautiful finish job you have done on that instrument. It is stunning work. Would you mind sharing your technique to produce those stripes.

Thank you...
Of course I don't mind share the technique.
I removed all the lacquer and color from the bassoon until bare wood.
Then I placed the bell, the tenor joint and the bass joint in a lathe and painted the stripes by hand, also turning the lathe by hand.
For the boot joint, because there is no possibility to mount it in the lathe, I used duct tape to create a kind of stencil and painted it.
Then I applied several coats of colour and 5 coats of marine varnish.

For those who want to see all the process you can check it on the facebook album.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.399754996808561.1073741833.163310230453040&type=3

Back
Top Bottom