Buescher made Bundy (Series I) info?

There used to be a page with information regarding these horns on saxpics, but it appears to have been removed. A few years ago, I owned a Series I Bundy tenor made by Buescher. This was not the typical Selmer USA/Buescher Bundy that practically everyone has played. This horn was made in the late 30's or early 40's. It had a very elaborate floral engraving with the "BUNDY" name on it. This was the first series of Bundy horns Buescher ever made. They directly proceeded the Conn New Wonder stencils that had also been called "Bundy". They had left side bell keys, wire keyguards, and auxilary F's. This was easily the lightest tenor I've ever played. I'm interested in knowing what Buescher model they were stenciled after. If I remember correctly, Pete wrote that they were "More of an advanced intermediate horn".

I think I removed that years ago. The original page is still there (http://www.saxpics.com/selmer/bundy.htm), but I had removed the pics. There's an entry on archive.org.

The original Bundy horns were produced by Conn and were New Wonder stencils. The version you're talking about is the one patterned after the Buescher Aristocrat -- Selmer USA Padless models.

Thanks Pete. That was the page I was referring to. My tenor looked almost like that lacquered alto right next to the Conn. I liked the horn, but it was due for an overhaul. I decided to pick up my Chinese tenor instead of forking out the money for repairs. I gave it to an altoist friend of mine who was interested in learning tenor. He also knew how to re pad a horn, so I figured it was better suited for him. Even with some of the pads leaking, the horn had a decent tone. The action needed some work, but I remember one particular problem with the forked F key being too close to the right hand stack keys. I would always bump that forked F open by mistake and it drove me nuts. I wasn't crazy about the pinky cluster either, but it wasn't terrible I guess. The metal of the horn was thin and was considerably lighter than other vintage tenors I've played.

I remember catching an eBay ad for an almost new Reference 36 several years ago. The owner of the horn was going through some degenerative eye disease and wasn't going to play professionally anymore. He also had one of these Bundy tenors, which he was keeping. He said that he preferred the Bundy, and had some cool pictures of him playing the horn in a big band back in the 40's. Someone on SOTW recently claimed that Wayne Shorter played one of these during session work, I think they had a few pictures up too.

I kind of figured the Bundy was modeled after an Aristocrat, but there were so many variations of the Crat, I really wasn't sure. The fact that the Selmer Padless was based on the same design threw me for a loop. I took a look and in fact this tenor http://saxpics.com/the_gallery/selmer/padless/tenor/2732x_ci/a.jpg has engravings that are very similar to the Bundy. The body tube and neck look very similar. Some of the key work, key guards, and bell brace are different. I can see the similarities though. Thanks again Pete.

Back
Top Bottom