Bundy/Bundy Special

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I've been thinking about these.

I've mentioned often that these horns stamped, "Made in Western Germany" are Julius Keilwerth stencils: you've got the rolled tone holes on the Bundy Special and you've got a Plexiglas "pants protector" keyguard. However:

* Since I made those comments, I've seen a lot of Germanic horns with Plexiglas protectors.
* The fact that the Bundy/Bundy Special isn't stamped with the "JK Best in the World" trademark has always bothered me.
* The fact that the Bundy/Bundy Special is stamed Western Germany when all other Keilwerths from that era are stamped "Germany" has always bothered me.

I'm going to make the suggestion of ... Dorfler & Jurka. They look an awful lot like JKs, they eventually worked for JK and I think there's a possibility that some D&J horns had Plexiglas keyguards.

Someone talk me down!

Any one know when JK dropped the 'Best in the World' stamp? Did they continue to use it post Graslitz? Or did they leave it to Amati?

I played a Bundy Special bari that my school bought new in '64, I believe. I seem to remember it being stamped 'Made In Germany.' That's a long time ago, and I haven't seen the horn since '68, so I could be mistaken. Great playing horn, though.

Julian

Uwe Ladwig wrote about this, and I've had this up on my site in English for ever since I've had a D&J page, that JK contracted out the Bundy to D&J. I'm just not clear if it was both the Bundy and the Bundy Special. However, based on the build, and the fact that Uwe didn't specify the Bundy Special, I'm guessing it was only the Bundy that D&J built for JK. Remember however, that D&J did not make anything other than alto & tenor saxophones. They hired another company to make their sopranos and baritones, and made no other instruments whatsoever. So perhaps JK made the Bundy baris? There is no mention of this.

As far as when JK dropped the Best In The World stamp, that's something I've been wondering about over the last little bit as well. Yes, they continued on using it well past their move to Nauheim. My 1957 Tonekings have the stamp. Near as I can figure it, it may have stopped in the 1960s (early) sometime. This tenor from 1963 (48450) is the earliest that I've seen that doesn't have the engraving. However, it still carries the JK logo. Later they dropped the logo as well, and only had Made In Germany.

Excellent post, Helen.

So perhaps JK made the Bundy baris? There is no mention of this.
Any model JK soprano, bari or bass seems to be quite rare. There actually seem to be more stencil baris and sopranos, like the H-Couf and the Armstrong Heritage lines -- and, of course, the Bundy bari.

(Obviously, with the SX90, there are more Keilwerth basses, baris and sopranos out there.)

I do know that Keilwerth used to make basses on order -- I've got the ad around here, someplace -- but I don't remember seeing the same thing on baris or sopranos. If it's true that they didn't make it until you ordered it, that'd be a good explanation for the rarity. And, for some reason, I want Burger King ....

============

Remember however, that D&J did not make anything other than alto & tenor saxophones. They hired another company to make their sopranos and baritones, and made no other instruments whatsoever. So perhaps JK made the Bundy baris? There is no mention of this.
If D&J didn't make baris, then it's obvious that my old Bundy bari wasn't made by D&J :).

============

Any one know when JK dropped the 'Best in the World' stamp?

I don't currently have enough pictures of Bundy/Bundy Specials, but I do know that my bari was stamped, "Made in Western Germany." sideC says his was stamped, "Made in Germany." ALL the Armstrong Heritage horns I have pics of are stamped, "Made in West Germany for WT Armstrong Company by Julius Keilwerth Musical Instrument Factory."

I did a brief check of some of the Keilwerth pics I have locally. It's unfortunate, but most people don't take pics of the thumbrest and stamps above or underneath it. Anyhow, I've got a 40304 horn with the JK crown stamp and "Made in Germany," but no "best in the world." H-Coufs seem to be stamped just "Made in Germany." I've got pics of one 90xxx Toneking Exclusive that's stamped just, "Made by Julius Keilwerth. West Germany."

Back
Top Bottom