Classical lit - The top 5

Before I came to China, I was taking flute lessons for a few months. In that time, I worked on Taffenel-Gaubert, Moyse De La Sonorite, and a couple of Étude books. I didn't get to work on any literature and I'd like to any flautists to comment on the top 5 pieces in the repertoire. By top 5, I mean the 5 pieces every flautist knows. Feel free to list more or less.

From http://www.flutehistory.com/Resources/B ... alogs.php3:

Resources: Bibliography: Repertoire Catalogs

Pellerite, James J. A handbook of literature for the flute: compilation of graded method materials, solos, and ensemble music for flutes. Rev. 3d ed. (Bloomington: Zalo Publications, c1978).

Pierreuse, Bernard, Fl?te litt?rature: catalogue g?n?ral des ?uvres ?dit?es et in?dites par formations instrumentales: general catalog of published and unpublished works by instrumental category (Paris: Soci?t? des Editions Jobert, Distribution, Editions musicales transatlantiques, c1982).

Prill, Emil, F?hrer durch die Fl?ten-Literatur: Grosser Katalog ?ber 7500 Werke enthaltend Neuerscheinungen von 1898-1912 (Leipzig: J. H. Zimmerman, 1899, R/Frankfurt: Zimmerman, 1992)

Vester, Frans. Flute repertoire catalogue: 10,000 titles. (London: Musica Rara, 1967).

-------- Flute music of the 18th century: an annotated bibliography (Monteux, France: Musica Rara, 1985).
Annotated repertoire lists for particular periods can be found in:

Nancy Toff The flute book: a complete guide for students and performers 2nd ed. (New York : Oxford University Press, 1996).

=========

I'm not a flautist and I don't try to play one on TV, but I've played a few transpositions on sax and/or clarinet. I seem to remember heavy Mozart works, such as Concerto in D. And "The Magic Flute".

However, your mileage may vary. I'm just wanting someone to send me an MP3 of Shickele's "Spring Serenade".

Some "easier" ones. Within the technical abilities of a motivated high school player.

Hindemith Sonata
Debussy Syrinx
Telemann Suite in A minor (originally for recorder - now frequently done on flute)
Handel Sonatas
selected movements from the Bach Sonatas?

Back
Top Bottom