Dolnet and Pierret Catalogs and Docs

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
One of the websites I've really enjoyed going to has posted two articles on two of the more esoteric saxophone manufacturers, Dolnet and Pierret. Take a peek:

Dolnet article
Pierret article

While I don't read or speak French very well, the translation from Google translate is a bit odd and I've still got a 100 degree fever, I'm still very happy with the documents they found. At the very least, we now have an official Dolnet model name: "Artist." I've gotta replace the "Bel Air" name, but I was completely correct that the Dolnets with the extra keywork and microtuner neck are officially called "Royal Jazz" models.

If anyone wants to take a shot at translating those letters in the Pierret article, I'd love to see them!

It's an absolutely fascinating website, too. I really wish I knew more French. Well, Google Chrome works OK ....

The baritone sax player in Wayne Cochran's C.C. Riders was the legendary Bob Gable, perhaps the greatest rock & roll baritone player ever. Before he got his Mark VI baritone, he joined Wayne's band with a Dolnet. Perhaps a good first step. He told me, "The top curve goes the wrong way."
A few years later, Jaco Pastorius walked into a theatre where I was working a jazz gig on baritone sax. I hadn't seen Jaco since I had switched from tenor to baritone sax.
Jaco's first comment was, "Where's Gable?"

Oh, yah. The curve in the crook. Quickie explanation for those out there that don't have a clue what we're talking about:

The saxophone was introduced without an automatic octave key. You had two keys instead of the one. Now, if you're talking tenor and lower, affixing a double-octave key isn't that big of a deal. Bari? Major big deal. So you get something like this (yes, that's Groovekiller's horn). When the automatic octave key came into use, there was no longer a mechanical reason for making a bari crook like that, thus you could have a counterclockwise turn, like on, say, a Mark VI. Dolnet just didn't see a need to change their design, so they stayed "true" to the double-octave-key design for their crook.

Hey, at least it's a better design than the Conn New Wonders (up until about 1925 or so). Don't get me started on bass design. You can call Helen, instead :).

My Evette & Schaeffer bari is feeling very left out of the discussion. It too has the clockwise turn of the crook, like Groovekiller's A. Sax does. How many pristine examples of 19th century horns have you got in your inventory of photos? Don't make me hex you Pete. BTW, how's that fever of yours doing now? Feeling better yet? ;) :-D

Bronchitis and a sinus infection. I was on antibiotics for a week. I'm still coughing a little, but I'm much better.

I've not done a survey of counterclockwise vs clockwise baris, but I do have a bunch of pics of 19th century horns and I owned a Couesnon bari with a double-octave key.

Counterclockwise baritones play better in the southern hemisphere, and clockwise baritones play better...

Or is it the other way around?

Anyway, straight baritone saxes are fantastic when played at the equator.

One of the websites I've really enjoyed going to has posted two articles on two of the more esoteric saxophone manufacturers, Dolnet and Pierret. Take a peek:

Dolnet article
Pierret article

(...)

If anyone wants to take a shot at translating those letters in the Pierret article, I'd love to see them!

Pete,

Hereunder rough translation of the two Pierret letters. Very straightforward style: both letters announce a delay in delivering promised goods and Mr Pierret doesn't bother much to apologize... The roaring twenties whre a booming period and this might explain that.

It'd be interesting to check the current value of the 320 Francs an alto used to cost 1926. I'll try to find something about that.

L. Pierret
Former worker at the Millereau and F. Besson companies.

Mssrs Gaudet, Deslauriers,

88 Rue des Marais
Paris

I’m presently overwhelmed with work and shall be able to deliver the alto and tenor saxophones at the end of next month ; for the C ténor and the baritone, I’m not in a position to give you the (delivery) date, being reserved by Mr Martinet.

Alto sax, double C key, double Bb, low Bb with rollers, articulated G-sharp key 320 Francs. Discount if no finishing and padding 47 Francs

Tenor sax, same model 390 Francs. Discount if no finishing and padding 60 Francs.

Yours faithfully

Pierret

Mssrs Gaudet, Deslauriers,

88 Rue des Marais

Answering your letter of the 18th inst., I shan’t be able to deliver one alto sax descending to low Bb before a fortnight, even if I’d like to.

Please note that, taking into considération the successive (price) increases of the raw material, I’m obliged to major the last prices by 10%.

Jacques

Back
Top Bottom