Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Dramatic Sax Feature for Community Band

There's a band arrangement for several of Dave Brubeck's quartet stuff. Unfortunately, I don't remember the arranger. That's about the only band piece I remember that features the sax section. Most of the rest that I remember for band is really transposition stuff.

You could do Bolero. That's fairly dramatic and has lotsa sax, but you'd probably need an arrangement that doesn't have strings.

When I search for "sax feature" on places like J. W. Pepper, I get mostly solos. I'm looking for sax ensemble feature in a concert band piece. I know they are out there.

Update, got this recommendation from a very talented sax guy: "Musica Buema" - Zdenek Lukas. Although I can read about the prolific composer on Wikipedia, I can't find the chart anywhere.

Last edited:
I have an irish arrangement that I did for sax ensemble and wind ensemble. Written for 10 but can be taken down to 4.
nino, 3 sopranos, 2 altos, 2 tenors, bari, bass

Hey Gandalfe,

I'm not sure what you mean by "dramatic", nor how prominently you want to display the sax section (or perhaps a sax soloist) so as a die-hard community band junkie, I'll just throw out a bunch of things I have played recently and enjoyed as a sax section player and sometimes soloist. If you are interested in any of these, PM me and I'll try to track done more specific info as to arrangers, etc. These are very much off of the top of my head and are all things I have played in arrangements for concert band that IMO gave the saxes some great section or solo parts.

Joplin's "The Strenuous Life"
Holst's" First Suite", and "Second Suite"
"Take the A-train" (arrangement for concert band--actually almost any concert band arrangement of big band stuff gives a prominent place to the sax section)
Ross Roy (lovely alto solo)
Shostakovitch "Jazz Suite #2" (Lovely alto solo and alto-tenor duet to open the piece)
Concert band arrangement of "Yakety Sax"
Ralph Vaughn Williams" "Sea Songs"
Any of the Mancini medleys
Dragon's arrangement of "America the Beautiful"---a July 4 staple in my part of the world.

And I have always loved the sax part to "Colonel Bogey" (aka theme music from "Bridge over the River Kwai")

We (Winston Salem Community Band) kicked off our outdoor summer concert season this past Sunday---it was hot as Hades, but the rain held off and all went well.

Cheers! Ruth

PS

This would be a good query to post on the Community Band Forum.

Ruth, this is perfect. I've annotated the ones we've done so far:

Hey Gandalfe,
Joplin's "The Strenuous Life"
<Performed> Holst's" First Suite", and "Second Suite"
"Take the A-train" (arrangement for concert band--actually almost any concert band arrangement of big band stuff gives a prominent place to the sax section)
Ross Roy (lovely alto solo)
Shostakovitch "Jazz Suite #2" (Lovely alto solo and alto-tenor duet to open the piece)
Concert band arrangement of "Yakety Sax"
<Performed> Ralph Vaughn Williams" "Sea Songs"
Any of the Mancini medleys
Dragon's arrangement of "America the Beautiful"---a July 4 staple in my part of the world.

And I have always loved the sax part to "Colonel Bogey" (aka theme music from "Bridge over the River Kwai")

I'll try the Shostakovitch first and will probably be working off this list for years. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom