Everything Old is New Again

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I had been researching something completely different and came across this. It's a Buescher True-Tone that's been retrofitted with keywork from an Asian horn. There's also the moderately updated Conn F mezzo that cybersax.com had a few years back.

I've heard of a few folks having this sort of thing done and I know that we have more than one tech here that does this sort of thing.

A few questions:

* Do you think that this negatively impacts value?
* Do you think that this improves value?
* How about for one-handed conversions?
* How much would a "total conversion" cost?

Personally ... I don't know. I can say that I've looked at some saxophones and did say "no" to them because the G# cluster was Conn/Buescher Aristocrat/Truetone-style (I've had my pinky broken several times and I don't have great strength in it). Hey, if the bore is intact, who cares about the keywork? Right? Why am I hearing crickets? Well, I haven't called the exterminator in awhile ....

Last edited by a moderator:
* Do you think that this negatively impacts value?
* Do you think that this improves value?

The only way modifications increase value is if the design, functionality, craftsmanship, and esthetic aspects all equal or exceed and at the same time compliment those of the manufacturer which are retained. Regardless of design/functionality improvements, sloppy craftsmanship will in most cases, IMO, only affect the value adversely.

The thing I'm looking at is that you're fundamentally changing the way the horn feels and/or works. I can use a car analogy: is a 1923 Ford T Bucket that has everything custom except for the frame still a Model T? I can say that I've seen some really nice performing ones go for much more than an original Model T. You generally have to put a lot into it, tho!

except the only noise a car makes is through the muffler .... and a horn's tonal quality theoretically should not change if you alter the keywork.

after all, I would love it if my Couf keywork was "revised" to offset stacks and other ergonomic improvements. It wouldn't change the tone, just the feel. making it have easier playability for me.

fyi, I can't really play old keywork design US horns. I avoid them like the plague. So updating one with modern keywork design would actually make me want to play one.

I can't really see the analogy to a car

There are conversion kits out there for, say, adding disc brakes to a '57 Chevy. While it makes the car MUCH safer, it makes the car less original, thus it may negatively impact the value.

This upgrade improves the automobile's handling, to an extent, and makes you safer. But, it's not original.

I've seen folks say that they like, say, a Conn Standard/Artist because of the keywork. While (arguably, especially if you're Yamaha) changing the keywork isn't affecting the tone, it's just affecting the handling, it makes the horn worth less to the person who likes the old-style keywork.

I had a point in there, somewhere.

As far as the car analogy goes, you could only compare, say, a 1923 Model T to a 2011 Ford Taurus on a couple points (say, "It's got 4 wheels and goes 'vroom'). However, you can compare a 1956 Selmer Mark VI to a 2012 Selmer Reference 54 on a bunch of points because saxophones haven't changed that much: your keywork style's been set since the 1970s, other than some range extension keys. 'Course, you can then get into an argument about stones placed at strategic locations on your sax improves the tonal quality of the horn (Cannonball) or special lacquer can change the tonal characteristics of the horn (Yamaha).

I don't find the car analogy particularly applicable either. There are those who would argue that, like many other vintage horns, the stock Buescher "model T" curved soprano already has one of the best, and most distinctive, turbocharged acoustical engines and matching gearbox/suspensions out there. You just have to put the right sized tires (mouthpiece) on it. Once you do that, no acoustical improvements are required (other than those that even modern horns would benefit from) and there is no high C# problem at all. All that's left that could stand improvement then would be certain aspects of the mechanical human interface - the foot pedals and steering wheel just happen to be in uncomfortable positions, and the seat is lumpy.

actually .... you can change the tonal characteristics of a car .. get a different muffler.

my buddy bought a new Camaro the other year and promptly changed the muffler .. made it more throaty and louder !!

speaking of which ... i wouldn't mind hearing a chorus of tuned Ferrari, Porsche, Aprilia & Ducati engines playing christmas songs :)

Back
Top Bottom