Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Evette & Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon S.A.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Sort of.

First, quoting from the IDRS article, which is quoting Kurz and McBride from Buffet,

... Evette et Schaeffer (earlier Buffet-Crampon) used the occasion of the Exposition Universelle de Paris of 1900 to reintroduce the complete sarrusophone family. The key positions had been made completely identical to those of the saxophone. The Sarrusophones ? m?chanisme perfectionn? Syst?me Evette et Schaeffer are advertised in the 1907 catalog at about the same prices as the best saxophones of the same register; nevertheless, from 1919 to 1923 only forty-nine sarrusophones were manufactured, of which twentytwo were contrabasses in E-flat. Between 1920 and 1930, French manufacturers stopped producing the sarrusophone - just as the big bands in America were beginning to experiment with them.
Primarily because I've written SOMETHING about the contrabass Sarrusophone, I've been designated "expert" status and people are e-mailing me. Used to be once a year. Now it's once or twice a month.

So, a gentleman e-mailed me about an Evette-Schaeffer Sarrusophone he had and wanted a value guesstimate. I initially responded that a) I didn't think E&S made a Sarrusophone because they had the contrabass saxophone and b) that "Sarrusophone" was a family of instruments, so just saying, "I have a Sarrusophone" doesn't help me with the value.

So, I asked for pics and got 'em. It's ENGRAVED E&S, but the serial number is 12x (blanking out the last number for "security"). And looks like a Conn 16V.

I've asked the owner to check for the Haynes tone hole patent on the horn. I think he'll find one.

I'll try to post some pics, later. I THINK I have an idea where that 1907 E&S catalog is, too.

Back
Top Bottom