Faces to best friends

Meet sweet Abby, a rough collie, aka Lassie dawg. She is the sweetest little thang right now and lovin' the Casa du Glassa. And we are lovin' her! <3

AbbyAtTen Weeks.JPG

And her toys are still intact! Eight to twelve weeks is such a great time to own a puppy (except for the cleanup).

Yesterday, my family adopted a new dog from the Arizona SPCA (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, aka "the pound"). Already named "Ozzie"...
The above was from 2013, as is the attached picture.

About a week ago, my youngest daughter came home and found Ozzie sprawled out on the floor, flat on his belly, and texted me to come home quickly. I did and immediately took him over to the emergency vet. He had a cancerous tumor on his spleen that ruptured, causing major internal bleeding. My wife paid for the very expensive operation and we were able to take him back home in 48 hours. However, we needed to wait for 7 to 10 days for the samples to come back and tell us whether the cancer had metastasized. It has. The vet said that he probably has 3 to 6 months to live.

No, I'm not taking that well.

He's currently doing OK and acting pretty normal. I'm really happy he is. He's getting a few extra treats, too.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
I feel your pain. Our male Golden, Quinn was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in July with a prognosis of 2-3 months. In August, our female Morgan stopped eating. Four days later she was diagnosed with stomach cancer. It was so advanced that we had to make the hard decision right then and there. She must have been in pain for a while, but never showed it.

Meanwhile, Quinn is still going strong and shows no ill effects. He is constantly hungry and very active. Surprisingly, his thyroid levels are normal. Needless to say, we are spoiling him rotten and trying (and mostly succeeding) to enjoy every day he has left with us. You know when you take them into your life that that day will come, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I spend more time with our dog than with any other family member. Losing the last puppy almost did me in. I really don't want to think about when my current puppy leaves us.

It's not just a dog.

I spend more time with our dog than with any other family member. Losing the last puppy almost did me in. I really don't want to think about when my current puppy leaves us.

It's not just a dog.

I've worked at home for about 5 years. I see him more often than daughter 2.0 or my wife.

I just got back from visiting a fellow musician who currently has 28 dogs. 20 of which are under 5 weeks old!

It was glorious stinky madness there.

There is nothing quite like the enthusiasm of a dog! I find that more than inspirational. I don't own a dog but around where we live you see hundreds of dogs out being walked and I just love to observe them bounding around, picking up scents (that leads to ecstatic tail wagging) and interacting with each other in the frenetic manner they do.

However, we needed to wait for 7 to 10 days for the samples to come back and tell us whether the cancer had metastasized. It has. The vet said that he probably has 3 to 6 months to live.
We had to put him down on Wednesday. Uncontrollable bleeding into his abdomen.

I'm not taking that well.

Quinn turned eleven two days ago. Still going strong (crosses fingers). He goes to doggie day play two days a week and has become the leader of the pack.

We had to put him down on Wednesday. Uncontrollable bleeding into his abdomen.

I'm not taking that well.
Sorry I missed your post Pete. Hope you are feeling better now.

It's that glorious love that gives us such a difficult time accepting the loss. I feel sorry for people who never experience a love like that.

Completely makes sense. I hope my passing someday has as much impact on those around me, but it's doubtful. My babies have been awesome souls, I'm just that music guy.

If we're lucky we get to spend time with so many lovely dawglies in our lives. I still think about the ones who have left us ... all the time. They really are members of our families, aren't they. Another happy dawg picture. Here's my Abby with the neighbor dawg that we babysit many times a year.

IMG_7105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom