Help identify make of saxophone

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I know I have seen this key guard design somewhere but I can't remember where. Does anyone recognize this make? Pete? Helen?

The key guard design doesn't look familiar to me as such, but the left pinkie cluster certainly does. I can't remember on what brand though...

About the only thing that I can say with certainty is that the case either came from a Kohlert, or was inspired heavily by Kohlert. So sorry, not much help here. Pete my friend, it's up to you..

Thanks Helen. I forgot to mention that it says "Elkhart" on the bell making it an American product.

The key guard design doesn't look familiar to me as such, but the left pinkie cluster certainly does. I can't remember on what brand though...
Buescher. True Tone, to be specific.

I really don't have too much problem saying that this is a Buescher stencil. I know that Buescher had a ton of stencils and that they played around with the keyguards on a lot of them. Submitted for your approval, the Selmer USA Padless and Olds Ambassador. Of course, JBT's horn isn't exactly a True Tone stencil because it has single-side bell keys, but if you look at the Aristocrats, I think the keyguards are similar enough, right down to the "point" in the middle of the keyguard. The bell-to-body brace is also a match. I dunno if the horn is actually engraved "Elkhart," but that was a Buescher stencil name.

Of course, I'm only looking at one side of the horn. I've been wrong before :D.

FWIW, the (faux, I think) alligator case is actually pretty similar to the one for the ancient Buffet bass clarinet I used.

Back
Top Bottom