Identification Assistance Appreciated

Hello:

I am new to this forum, but am hoping for some help identifying the make/brand of bass clarinet in these photos.

I was given these two pieces of this bass clarinet (no neck or bell) and since I like to try to rebuild woodwinds and I do not have the funds to own my own 2-piece WOOD bass clarinet (what I play is plastic).... I was intrigued and might try to work at restoring this beast if I can.
147F080C-6108-4745-A7C3-A11F9476EC7D.jpeg
9F7FA0EA-AF66-4CFE-BCF3-EA5E71623AC6.jpeg
DFC6FF5A-9987-4B8D-AC88-A72CBEAC3BDD.jpeg
20B4CD62-3FA2-4AC2-B615-808E005CAE3A.jpeg
118690F9-2098-41F9-975E-68C7C202F087.jpeg

What's the serial number? It's hard for me to see. I can't tell if it starts with a 5 or ends with a 9.

What's the serial number? It's hard for me to see. I can't tell if it starts with a 5 or ends with a 9.

I apologize.... I should have stated that in my first message.... both pieces have the same serial number, and each says MADE IN FRANCE, but strangely, the number 8 in the serial number appears “upside down” to the words made in France, so I am not sure if the serial number is “8699” which would be if it is the same orientation as the words.... or if it is “6698” if inverted. I am going to try to attach a better picture too:
749B79AF-787E-43C1-8937-F0107C037CDA.jpeg

If I am able to figure out what type of bass clarinet this is, my next goal is to try to find photographs of the the keywork looks like ( there are two or three pieces missing from the top half ) and also what the neck looks like for this brand (it looks like it is likely a style with a vent and key connection on the neck, but I am not 100% certain from what I have). With the photos I hope to find, I can then better assess if any parts I have from some other horns may be usable (or gently modifiable) to replace what is missing. Then I will also start searching for a usable neck and bell (hopefully). It may end up being a “Franken-instrument” but if I can get it back to some sort of playing condition it may be very fun for me to use!

As I know Olds didn't make their own clarinets-Malerne?
It looks rather like this one: http://www.clarinetsdirect.biz/MalerneBass.html
Based on looking at it, it might have taken some structural damage before having the mentioned keys removed, as the bell for some reason looks to have been completely severed off partially down. I will add, however, that the body and keywork look okay, although viewing photos on a phone in this forum seems to be somewhat glitchy as of late.
The register mechanism looks like the one on that Malerne to me, with both register vents on the body-while I don't like that design, it should be a decent horn if fixed.

Last edited:
True-Tone:

Yes, it appears to have had several damaging “things” happen to it before I acquired it.... but potentially it is still salvageable.

As far as Marlene goes.... I sort of thought that initially too.... but, the register keywork is different up at the top of the first piece. That makes me think it may be different (unless Marlene has different keywork styles). I unfortunately need to find somewhere some pictures of what my keywork should be if I have any hope of finding/fabricating replacements.

I was also thinking Malerne, primarily because some Malerne basses do have the metal clamp between the joints. However, I'm also not sure if there was supposed to be a register key on the neck on PT's horn. If so, I think that would drop Malerne from contention, as I haven't seen any pics of a Malerne bass with a register key on the neck. @Steve might have some input.

You might also contact David Spiegelthal on Sax On The Web (not sure if he is a member here, but if so, an infrequent visitor). He is quite an expert on BCs, and builds his own "Frankenhorns" from spare parts. My bass clarinet is an Artley he made that started as a low E horn. He modified it to add low Eb on the bell, and also re-designed the klugey octave key.

Back
Top Bottom