Its all new to me.

(as posted in the welcome section,but to recap).

Ive just reached a point in my life that I can commit to fulfilling a lifelong ambition which is learning to play the Saxophone.
I last played an instrument 30+ years ago when I learned to play the cornet in primary school.

I only hope I have some sleeping memory's of what I learned.
i know its going to be a steep learning curve but its something Ive wanted to do all my life.
Ive found a local Sax teacher that is willing to take me on so all thats left to do is to decide between Alto and Tennor? and of course sell that unused motorcycle that will release the funds for my purchase.

I have very little knowledge of both how to read music and Saxophones so as previously stated, im open to and welcome suggestions for all topics regarding learning music and indeed which Sax and why ?

and if I can ask, apart from the sound what are the differences between the Alto and Tennor? as its been suggested the Tennor would be easier to learn, why is this?

Rgds Lee.

as its been suggested the Tennor would be easier to learn, why is this?

I haven't heard of that. I don't think there's much difference in regard to ease of learning, especially for an adult. (Alto may be easier for small children due to its size and weight).

I think the best thing is to listen to alto and tenor players of different genres, see what "grabs" you.

Listen to as many as possible from across the board, and not just the usual jazz suspects (Parker, Coltrane, Rollins etc.)

Thanks Pete, TBH over the years I've preferred the deeper sound of the Tennor however now the ambition has gone from just that to reality I've been paying a lot more attention and am watching and listening to video clips (YouTube ect-) almost on a daily basis and now find myself drawn in the middle between the two.
I've found a place 'Sax.co.uk' and they claim to be one of if not the biggest emporium of horns in this country, they have invited me to go along when ready and they will take me threw all I wish toss and have offered to spend some time with me showing me the basics! They also have several playing rooms (hope there sound proof, very every body else's benifit)!.

But apart from listening as you suggest, it's really going to be down to what I favour on the day that is if there are no other benefits/disadvantages?

I'm certainly no music coneseur but do have a vastly extensive musical taste, have always like Save Brubeck (particularly Paul Desmond Take 5) and I'm currently listening to Chris Cheeks Vine and Gregory Porters 2 albums water and my favourite Be Good which has some nice horn work in a few of the tracks.

But apart from listening as you suggest, it's really going to be down to what I favour on the day that is if there are no other benefits/disadvantages?

That's great to be able to try a few (or a lot) out at sax.co.uk, they are very helpful and nice and I think just having a go on the horns, however inexperienced you are, will give you a feel for which size is the one for you. As I said, ignore any preconceptions about tenor being easier, just go for what really grabs you. Say hi from me, esp. to Jim, Jules and Phill (the guvnor). They should get you sorted. And a plus is they are bauhaus stockists which are great horns for the money, I highly recommend them, but of course there are plenty of others to try there to see what suits you.

I'm one of the folks that says a tenor is easier to play. You don't have to have that tight of an embochure (that's "how you hold the mouthpiece in your mouth"). I also find that playing the entire keyed range is generally easier for me, specifically, and some of the adult students I've had.

Notice all the words in italics. You still need to learn breath support, fingerings, etc. to play well. Additionally, if you were a school student that's just picking up the horn, there are two reasons not to start on tenor: the band that you're going to play in probably has enough tenor players and most school directors will be teaching you in a group of alto sax players. (Of course, another reason is that a tenor is much more expensive than an alto and/or you probably can't find one to rent.)

If you're taking private lessons, what pitch your sax is won't make much of a difference.

All that being said, Pete T. has a lot more playing and teaching experience than me, so keep that in mind.

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of saxophone playing. I too was attracted to the instrument the first time I heard the Pink Panther theme played by Plas Johnson. I started on alto, but over time have picked up a tenor and soprano and love them all just about the same.

The most important thing you said was that you are starting out with a teacher. In my experience nothing is more important that starting out with good fundamental skills and concepts. In my experience as a music teacher, it is much easier to teach/learn good habits than it is to unlearn bad habits.

There is a lot of playing and teaching experience on this forum, and a lot of folks who love to show off what they know by answering beginner's questions. :) So don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks very much for the advise.
I know it's going to be a steep hill and it makes sense to me not to make it steeper for myself by delaying or other wise as suggested learning bad habits so I have no intention of not learning from a teacher.

I think Save Brubeck Take 5 and Raffertys Baker Street had always sparked something inside me, as I grew up surrounded by gold music playing most of the time as my now deceased father played bass guitar in a group in the late 50's and 60's (before my time) but on occasion he would break out his Reconbacker plug in his Marshall practice amp and make some noise.

Lee.

Tenor sax literature for the average community band is *much* easier than alto. I recommend a good teacher or two and ensemble playing to help you progress. And intonation can be easier with a lower pitch instrument as you work through the newbee phase. The higher a note you play the more audiences and your fellow musicians seem to notice an out of tune note.

That said, there's something to be said for playing your favorite instrument. All of us can't be as good as Pete Thomas is, gawd knows I am trying, but we can be in a band and having the time of our lives.

Thanks for the encouraging remarks Gandolfe, certainly makes sense although living get out in a rural area in deep dark Essex, unless the local farmers have a secret band session I think I'm going to have to speak to my teacher about joining a group.
I fear I have a long way to go before then, but never say never.

Lee.

Great thread!

I know where you are coming from Breathless, I'm right in that boat with you. I played bass guitar for a while, before giving it up for several years. Been back to playing both Bass, and regular guitar(which I was not able to do when I was young) for about nine years. One thing I have found is that "learning" is alot easier now than when I was young. Maturity and patience go hand in hand I think. I, like you, have always wanted to play the sax. My parents are both musicians and my father(now passed), was a clarinet player. I also have a uncle who plays baritone sax wonderfully. So, hopefully I have the genetic and acquired traits to help me with the woodwinds. Like you, I will be going to a professional for lessons. Definatelly a necesity.

The last time I tried a woodwind was in the 8th grade. There was no music program at my school. I had a math teacher, who ironically taught math in the former music room, who let me try out a sax that had been in storage. It was not up to the task of being a usable instrument, or I was not up to the task of learning from a trumpet playing math teacher how to play sax. Pretty sure things will be easier this time.

Back
Top Bottom