Key Fabrication

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Shown below is a "C bridge key" made for a True Tone Alto. The purpose of this key is to close the small C key when the thumb key is pressed in order to bring the pitch of high C# down. The key fits over the rod of the octave key using that as its pivot similar to the side keys on some clarinets. This makes a separate pivot assembly soldered to the body unnecessary and allows the key to be easily installed and removed.

The lengthy process of designing and then fabricating a key from brass stock has given me a new level of respect for those like Martin Mods who do this on a regular basis. My only saving grace is that what I lack in talent and ability, I make up for in persistence.

Cbridgekey2.jpg

Cbridgekey1.jpg

Cbridgekey3B.jpg

Over the long run, it might have been better to have shortened the original hinge tube on the bottom end by the amount needed for the new key part, and let the new part pivot on the steel hinge rod.

Over the long run, it might have been better to have shortened the original hinge tube on the bottom end by the amount needed for the new key part, and let the new part pivot on the steel hinge rod.

That would be true if it were a hinge tube. The key however is supported by pivot screws. The silver plating was done with the Caswell brush plating kit. I am having good success using Grovekiller's suggestion to first degrease the part using a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid.

That would be true if it were a hinge tube. The key however is supported by pivot screws.

Ah, sure. Just thinking of how to make it so it would last another 80 years though. One doesn't find too many examples of long lived, brass-on-brass hinge/pivot mechanisms on saxophones for some reason.

The silver plating was done with the Caswell brush plating kit. I am having good success using Grovekiller's suggestion to first degrease the part using a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid.

Nice. Can't see any color difference. Did you also burnish between applications?

Dipping things in a hydrochloric acid bath is usually the best way to make sure that they're really clean.

Don't try this to clean the grease off of your nose, however...

----

T. Stibal, who used to spend a good portion of his summer washing down new brick walls with a muriatic acid solution and no protective equipment (and has lived to tell about it)

Dipping things in a hydrochloric acid bath is usually the best way to make sure that they're really clean.

Don't try this to clean the grease off of your nose, however...

Yeah, just look at what happened to Voldemort. :)

Ah, sure. Just thinking of how to make it so it would last another 80 years though. One doesn't find too many examples of long lived, brass-on-brass hinge/pivot mechanisms on saxophones for some reason.

Actually the "bridge key" rotates in tandem with the thumb key it is attached to so there is no friction produced. One of the advantages to the design is that the key can be added or removed without making any structural changes to the sax itself.

Actually the "bridge key" rotates in tandem with the thumb key it is attached to so there is no friction produced. One of the advantages to the design is that the key can be added or removed without making any structural changes to the sax itself.

I see. Well done. Of course, this all begs the question, "Why is the upper C# so sharp on these horns anyway?"

Back
Top Bottom