Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Leblanc Pete Fountain model clarinet

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I have a friend who is an amazing traditional jazz (formerly Dixieland) player who is looking for a Pete Fountain Leblanc, preferably with gold plated keys. If anyone knows of one for sale, please post a link or contact information. Thanks.

Those certainly are very nice looking. I was always curious why more didn't gold plate keys.
Then I pinged Anderson plating on gold plating one of my clarinets keys. After getting the quote I then realized why many people don't opt for it.
Backun has certain models with gold plated keys now as standard, with prices to match.

Those certainly are very nice looking. I was always curious why more didn't gold plate keys.
Yamaha also sells clarinets with gold plated keys. Here's a CSG. Looks like all the "H" models (e.g. "YCL-CSG-H") are "Hamilton" gold plated (PDF brochure download). It's a "gold with some nickel and copper added" finish. Further, Yamaha claims that this impacts the clarinet's tone. I've argued that I'm sure that's true, but probably by .00000000001%.

Oh. Sorry. Further: I've never really worried about the keywork. I do understand that people do have allergies to nickel or silver and I'm sure that folks have allergies to both. That aside, I just think it's so hard for the audience to see the keywork that you're not really doing yourself a favor by getting the gold plating over nickel. I was able to find one place that sells the CSGIII in silver and gold. Silver is 2670 Pounds Sterling and gold is 3224 Pounds Sterling. That's $3406 vs. $4024, so about $600 extra for plating. Ouch.

I forgot about the Yamaha Hamilton plating.

I'll tell you one thing though, when taking pics of someone holding a clarinet with gold plating it certainly shows off well. Gold on a black/dark instrument is really pronounced. That was the main reason i wanted it done .. it looks awesome.

Also the visual contrast is similar to red or black pads on a brass gold lacquer sax.
And the reason green or red felts are used on brass instruments (and saxes). White felt is just lost visually.

Sometimes the "look" is worth it.

I can't see gold plating my RC Prestige because the silver plating on it is so nice, same with my Leblanc LLs
On my R13 I can see redoing the nickel keywork though, but I play my RC mostly.

Remember, I had one of these beauties:

serveimage.jpg

I'm also very, very fond of the Conn "Violin Finish" horns, boxwood, and various metal horns. I'd love to give CJ Sax's all ivory horn a toot, too. I'm also pretty fond of the look of the Backun horns. Of course, I'm not saying anything about how good or bad they play :).

Back
Top Bottom