Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Makin' a Band CD

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
This year I decided to take my band to a recording studio, TopOfTheHill Music Studio. This is the second time I’ve done this. The first time was so much fun and I love the CD we cut. Upon hearing we were doing this, Al Lowe, a friend of mine suggested I just post the music and forego the CD costs. Checking with my friends, most of the young kids don’t even have a CD player!

Since we had already done the first CD drop on ReverbNation, I decided to release it on that site. In fact, the music is now playing in the background of my office as I pen this post. Click on the link below to hear some of these amazing songs.

Read more: https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2017/10/19/makin-music-this-years-mjjo-recordings/

"What's a 'CD,' grandpa?"

How much does it cost to get into a recording studio and for how long?

"What's a 'CD,' grandpa?"

How much does it cost to get into a recording studio and for how long?

I have a *lot* of requests to make CDs so I sent the band a "Make a CD" email with all art work, CD liner notes, and MP3 link.

I got a steal of deal, two hours in a decent studio for $500. That price includes the tweaks, mastering, and the vocalist wanted to come back and redo the vocals because she had a cold when we did the recordings. Your price may vary.

Two years ago I spent another $500 on 100 CDs through CD Baby which I recommend by the way if you're going that way. So with studio time that's about $10 a CD. I gifted every member two copies and have sold the remaining for $15 each, which many people feel is too high a price. I always say to consider it a donation to the band. So far I've sold ~20 so that's around $300 against the initial costs. With the band's income that wasn't too painful for my wallet. This year however we didn't make as much so I chose to forego the CD cost.

We made a CD a couple of years ago. I wrote an article about the process for a national wind band magazine. I will try and attach it, for interest.

Attachments

• Mission Accomplished Making a CD.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 618
Back
Top Bottom