Max Keilwerth

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
Well I finally managed to get around to gathering the information I had, and putting together a Max Keilwerth page on my website. You'll find some interesting information there about the man, his own brand of saxophones--that carried the Pure Tone Trade Mark logo--and a few interesting photos.

Max Keilwerth had a profound influence on the saxophones that came out of Germany in the first half of the 20th century. It's a shame that his work is so much overshadowed by his brother Julius' horns. Both of these men made outstanding saxophones--I know I have both a Max and Julius horn. (Hohner President & Toneking respectively.) The horns are different like night and day. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, they are just completely different.

Thanks for the linky. Nice to find a tenor. Now if I could find one in real life... I think I'll get my SOTW friend & vintage dealer Glen on that.

And of course I'm sure--or else I wouldn't have published it. :p :-D (This piece of info has been reported in German print and online sources for years BTW. It was researched & well documented.) I further confirmed it by the warranty card that was sent to me, and that I included on the page. You'll see the Pure Tone Trade Mark logo on it.

My blog post today was about a couple of new Max Keilwerth horns that I have uploaded to my gallery.

The first is a Mars tenor that belonged to a SOTW member. Sadly he sold it a couple of years ago. I say "sadly", because yes, I would have bought it had I known about it. :frown:

The second is a pre-Hohner President tenor. The owner of this President, also owns a number of Hohner Presidents. He took some comparative photos that show the President evolved from the Pure Tone Trade Mark version, to the Hohner version.

Exciting stuff! OK, only if you're vintage Germanic horns that is of course. :ugeek:

Thanks for reminding me of that post Pete. I had seen it a year or so ago, but forgot about it.

However, it has to be specified what kind of Adler. It was a Johannes Adler, not an Oscar Adler. Johannes Adler was based out of Markneukirchen, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Oscar Adler.

Too bad that Admira is missing its neck. It will be tough to find a replacment.

Yes. You couldn't tell from the original pics and sadly the seller didn't know the difference between a mouthpiece and a neck. But he seems straight and has updated the auction. I guess it'll probably play well with most of the necks from that area.... But no use to me.

Yes. You couldn't tell from the original pics and sadly the seller didn't know the difference between a mouthpiece and a neck. But he seems straight and has updated the auction. I guess it'll probably play well with most of the necks from that area.... But no use to me.

Yeah, I laughed at the trombone mouthpiece with it. That was a dead giveaway that the guy had no clue. No mention of a neck until the questions, but at least someone asked the question!

Thanks for reminding me of that post Pete. I had seen it a year or so ago, but forgot about it.

However, it has to be specified what kind of Adler. It was a Johannes Adler, not an Oscar Adler. Johannes Adler was based out of Markneukirchen, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Oscar Adler.

I never mentioned which Adler :p.

It's nice that he mentions your website. I wonder how many e-mails you're going to get asking if you'd end the auction early and send the horn to Nigeria ....

Got some good pics in that ad, kev. Nice find.

It's nice that he mentions your website. I wonder how many e-mails you're going to get asking if you'd end the auction early and send the horn to Nigeria ....

I'm mentioned so often in eBay ads that I'm surprised that I don't get contacted more often about "my horns" on eBay. I get emails all the time about my saxophones and selling them, but that's because people seem to think that I own everything on my website. Didn't you have that problem with Saxpics too Pete?

I keep telling people: I'm not a dealer. Earlier this week someone wrote to me and wanted to know the price of an Eppelsheim bass. I wrote to him and said: Write the company and ask them. I don't know.

Yah. I actually still get those e-mails because there's still part of my "pre-USAHorn" website still up at saxpics.com, so my e-mail's still up there.

I've taken to telling folks that the Bundy II was the best horn evar and that I'd sell my wife's alto for $15,000.

Yah. I actually still get those e-mails because there's still part of my "pre-USAHorn" website still up at saxpics.com, so my e-mail's still up there.

I've taken to telling folks that the Bundy II was the best horn evar and that I'd sell my wife's alto for $15,000.
If it's high pitch, I'll take it! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom