Mechanical Keyboards

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I wrote an article here few moths back where I waxed prosaic about mechanical computer keyboards. I got an e-mail from one of the companies I bought a keyboard from, Corsair. They've got the keyboard I have, the K70, and it's more functional brother, the K90, on sale for $78 (down from $120 and $130, respectively) and the K95 for $91 (down from $140). They even have the discontinued K60 on sale for $39. Hey, I'd buy that K90 and sell my K70 if I had the cash.

All these have Cherry MX Red switches and aluminum 60/40 cases (the top part of the case is aluminum -- 40% -- and the rest is hard plastic -- 60%). Shipping is $5ish to the US.

Differences:
K95 has white backlit keys (which you can turn off and change the brightness on each key) and programmable macro keys
K90 has blue backlit keys (which you can turn off) and programmable macro keys
K70 has red backlit (which you can turn off) keys
K60 has no backlight

Looks Corsair never bought into the ergo keyboard movement. Still, quite the looker. Nice mice too.

CG_M65_RGB_K_01_hero_R.png

Ergo mechanical keyboards are pretty expensive. The cheapest one I saw was $250. (Brown Cherry MX switches.) That's also an ultra-niche market.

I'm not a real typist. I generally use three or four fingers and type at about 60 WPM. Because I'm not trained as a real typist, I have some problems even using an ergo keyboard. I also don't use a mouse. At home, I have a Kensington SlimBlade (NOT "slingblade") trackball and at work I use an Apple Trackpad. I'd use a trackpad at home -- I have a Logitech K650 PC trackpad stashed someplace -- but my desk doesn't have enough room.

Back
Top Bottom