Old (New Old Stock) Reeds - Usable?

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the use-ability of old reeds. I recently got a job with a company that has lots of what I would call "New Old Stock" - boxes of reeds that are unused, in original packaging, wrapped/plastic sealed, but are simply old - in some cases, 15-30 years old. (Crazy, I know). Some Rico, Rico Royal, LaVoz.

I asked around a bit and got multiple (and conflicting) answers. One person told me that these were kind of coveted items, and that the wood dries a bit over time, resulting in a better sound, and that players would really want them. Others said that they're too old, and not worth using.

I'd be open to any and all thoughts that you might have so I know what to do with all of them.

Thanks!

They're no good, and bio-hazards!! I will take care of them for you at no charge! Just slip them into a TIGHTLY sealed box and mail them to me.

(I'd take some of the lavoz if you have extras.)

They're no good, and bio-hazards!! I will take care of them for you at no charge! Just slip them into a TIGHTLY sealed box and mail them to me.

(I'd take some of the lavoz if you have extras.)
Haha - good to know! ;)

Thanks for the info though - I appreciate it!

About 14 years ago I bought out a closing music store of all of their reeds and other stuff.
Many sealed boxes ... tons of alto clarinet reeds.
Rico Orange, Blue, Brown Boxes, etc

most of the reeds were still usable.
Some reeds even in a closed box like the Rico Brown Boxes (which really were not "sealed" from the outside world like the plastic wrap around the Orange Boxes) were dried out, darkened and rough from (my guess) the wood expanding/shrinking over time from temperature changes.

I sold most everything except for the stuff I like .. 1960s Selmer Paris, Vandoren and others.

Last edited:
About 14 years ago I bought out a closing music store of all of their reeds and other stuff.
Many sealed boxes ... tons of alto clarinet reeds.
Rico Orange Boxes, Brown Boxes, etc

most of the reeds were still usable.
Some reeds even in a closed box like the Rico Brown Boxes (which really were not "sealed" from the outside world like the plastic wrap around the Orange Boxes) were dried out, darkened and rough from (my guess) the wood expanding/shrinking over time from temperature changes.

I sold most everything except for the stuff I like .. 1960s Selmer Paris, Vandoren and others.
Hi Steve,

First of all - great info, thank you very much!

I'm in a similar situation - I'm not the owner, but the place I work at was recently bought out by someone I know, which ultimately led to my job. Threre are a bunch of old sealed boxes here. I'm glad to hear that they are sell-able. We will likely be able to sell some to local teachers/schools.

I noticed that you are a moderator here as well - quick question, is there a spot on here where I could offer them for sale or provide a list of what I have for a private sale? (I totally understand if not, just wanted to check first.)

Thanks so much!
-BJ

There is a "For Sale" section in the "Mall" which is the last section of the forum.

With the old boxes though you may want to offer a return if the reeds are dried out and such, as they could be useless in a way.
One might now know that until they open the box.

I'll just chime in and say that I used new, old stock, Vandoren baritone saxophone reeds until I ran out. I didn't have any problems with them.

I should mention, I sold most of what I had but I kept a bunch of stuff.
Here's a image of a lot of the stuff I kept

I have three videos going over most of those reeds.
Just click on the youtube channel link in my signature and search for reeds

Prior and during Covid, I purchased a number of NOS (new, old stock) reeds for bari and tenor. Except for age, they worked fine. I use the softer #1.5's, #2's, #2.5's, etc. since I have wider lay mouthpieces.

I didn't have problems with them. These were the brand name Rico, Lavoz, Vanduren, etc. They were very affordable. I've noticed of more recent, that brand name reeds are quite expensive.

At least they weren't "green" reeds. ;)

However, I have bought the non-brand name inexpensive reeds from the Orient. Basically, you get what you pay for. :p

Back
Top Bottom