Old Symphony model Leblanc

Yes, I am new here. I stumbled onto this forum, so please bear with me.
Many, MANY, years ago my mother was reportedly an outstanding clarinetist that, again reportedly, had offers to attend a conservatory, etc. etc...
Her father, my grand father, bought her a new Leblanc "Symphony model" clarinet serial # 1004A some time in the early 50s, I think. . She wound up having to get married and that ended that. Opps. Anyway, this clarinet was handed down to me some years later roughly about 1970 and I played it for 6 years at which time I went into an air force band where I played a military issued R13 Buffet while taking lessons from a nice gentleman named George Silfies of the St. Louis Symphony. During that time I met my spouse of 40 years and unfortunatley I stopped playing clarinet / sax after the military. I eventually sold my prized Mark VI Alto, but could never part with that old "Symphony model B flat clarinet. So now hear I am retired and regretting having quit playing and selling that Mark VI, but curious. Is it possible to send that 60+ year old B flat Leblanc back to the Leblanc folks in Europe to be "refurbished" properly? Back then the horn played better than the R13. Then again I am no doubt biased still. The last time I had it worked on the person lost a screw and basically jambed a replacement to hold. SO needless to say, I don't trust the handy local shops. This is clearly more a sentimental journey than anything as my chops are long since gone along with my dexterity and a piece of an index finger. No Nielsen concerto or Mozart for me, these days. :( Thank you for your time and any leads on having this old horn brought back to it's former life.

Well, Foolish am I. I found some references here while browsing. Thank you to all who post here. Never stop playing. You will come to regret the loss.
Best wishes.

OK..

I guess at one time it was common, from what I've read, to send a horn back to the manufacturer for refurbishment, but it's not a common practice these days.

Mr. Rice enjoys a good reputation in the Clarinet world, he works with the great Clark Fobes, you may want to seek out the services of Mr. Rice or another guru of Clarinet repair:

Or you may want to bring the Clarinet to a local repair shop (as I do).

BTW Chesapeake Bay and the Del Mar peninsula are very interesting areas to visit, you didn't specify where you are in the world :)

Good luck with your journey!

Last edited:
You'll want/need a full refurbish done by the best tech in your neck of the woods. I would check with your local university music program for a tech recommendation. There is no ONE instrument necessary for success. Just take good care of what you have, it sounds wonderful.

If you are going to play with others, you can always get music and play against recordings on YouTube or using the Aebersold books/CD. I got most of my Aebersold books at Half Price Books for ten cent on the dollar of the original price. I took a 25+ year break and my wife and I started back up in 2001. Now I run three music ensembles including a big band, Tower of Power style ground, and a sax quartet. If you can read changes and read well, you will always be in high demand. There really isn't any money in it, but like I always say, a two-hour practice with a band usually seems like five minutes to me!! YMMV. Good luck.

I own a Symphonie II. There are several subtle variations of Leblanc Symphonies. There is a website somewhere listing them with some photos.

I sent mine to John Butler for a complete overhaul. JBwinds. He does a top notch job for a decent price.

I'm a little late to the party .. but here's the website listing the various models with photos.

I've owned them all. I preferred the Symphonie 3, the last of the evolution as the bore was slightly increased over time.

Yes, I am new here. I stumbled onto this forum, so please bear with me.
Many, MANY, years ago my mother was reportedly an outstanding clarinetist that, again reportedly, had offers to attend a conservatory, etc. etc...
Her father, my grand father, bought her a new Leblanc "Symphony model" clarinet serial # 1004A some time in the early 50s, I think. . She wound up having to get married and that ended that. Opps. Anyway, this clarinet was handed down to me some years later roughly about 1970 and I played it for 6 years at which time I went into an air force band where I played a military issued R13 Buffet while taking lessons from a nice gentleman named George Silfies of the St. Louis Symphony. During that time I met my spouse of 40 years and unfortunatley I stopped playing clarinet / sax after the military. I eventually sold my prized Mark VI Alto, but could never part with that old "Symphony model B flat clarinet. So now hear I am retired and regretting having quit playing and selling that Mark VI, but curious. Is it possible to send that 60+ year old B flat Leblanc back to the Leblanc folks in Europe to be "refurbished" properly? Back then the horn played better than the R13. Then again I am no doubt biased still. The last time I had it worked on the person lost a screw and basically jambed a replacement to hold. SO needless to say, I don't trust the handy local shops. This is clearly more a sentimental journey than anything as my chops are long since gone along with my dexterity and a piece of an index finger. No Nielsen concerto or Mozart for me, these days. :( Thank you for your time and any leads on having this old horn brought back to it's former life.
FYI,
Leblanc France is no longer. So no sending back to the factory.
Leblanc USA in 1989 bought 65% of France S.A. and completed the 100% buyout in 1993.
In further industry acquisitions, 2009 Conn-Selmer bought out Leblanc USA and moved all production to Elkhart, Indiana USA.

But as mentioned finding a good shop to refurbish. I'd recommend Eric Satterlee's shop near Lansing, Michigan if you want a recommendation.
I actually had to close up shop a long time ago and sent customers there. Their current clarinet tech was a clarinet performance major at MSU. I find this required as many "generic" techs can fix things but when it comes to tuning and perfecting an instrument requires a refined ear, feel and technique.

Back
Top Bottom