Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

One piece all metal Oboe

I come to you hoping you can help me find the value to restore my grandfathers oboe. The story goes like this: My grandfather was an oboists and also drum major for the US Army based on the Aleutian islands during world war2. During his travels he visited Europe and bought this Oboe, circa 1946-47. It has been passed down to me recently and I want to maintain it wether it has value or not but that does determine to what degree I restore it. I am a saxophone player and would love to play this bit of course all the pads and springs are original. I’m including pictures of your company beautiful piece with the inscription “Ms. Evette Lue?”, #288 and a picture of my grandfather, Vernon F. Hollstrom, for prosperity. Thank you for your time as I am sure you are very busy!

Sincerely,
Brian Hollstrom

Attachments

• 471563EB-DB3F-41F9-AC9A-A861248A509D.jpeg
    471563EB-DB3F-41F9-AC9A-A861248A509D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 178201F0-6593-4223-AD39-0FAA18B964E3.jpeg
    178201F0-6593-4223-AD39-0FAA18B964E3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 147
  • 5E873B35-CD5F-4478-BBC3-531113487A06.jpeg
    5E873B35-CD5F-4478-BBC3-531113487A06.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 149
  • CCD5F00F-EA10-4FCD-8CEA-4A744B688C11.jpeg
    CCD5F00F-EA10-4FCD-8CEA-4A744B688C11.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
  • F34BB810-41CA-4841-8566-13183C884AD9.jpeg
    F34BB810-41CA-4841-8566-13183C884AD9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
This was the message I sent to Buffet-Crampon; they are researching it but it was a stumper. I recently found out in was not purchase in his travels but as a gift in high school making it circa 1937.

You'll have to try and find a copy of the 1907 Evette and Schaeffer catalog.
I've looked for it to no avail.

I'm no oboe expert but it kinda looks like a Boehm'd keyed version.

on another "vintage" note, here's a Buffet Evette Schaeffer Tenor Sarrusophone on this page

It kinda looks like a hi-brid oboe/sop sax.....to me....if the was such a thing.
I played oboe for a time [made my own reeds, etc] and was quite into it thus I have a bit of knowledge.
I do not see a C# key for the right pinky (found on oboes) but I do see the right index finger Bb/C keys (found on saxophones)
It kind of looks hi-brid to me.

When I was a kid I remember my clar/sax teacher telling me that the US Army made all-metal woodwind instruments to play outdoors in sub-freezing temps......

This has peaked my curiosity....

I forgot to add to this thread.
If one looks at the Bell markings this helps to identify it's age.
If you look at this on a saxophone bell .. http://saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=31
you'll see the similarities.
And you'll be able to determine it's approximate age
Thus the reason I mentioned to check a 1907 catalog or up to 1918 era.

Attachments

• Oboe.jpg
    Oboe.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 139
Recently an instrument repair tech said he swore it was an alto straussaphone as seen in the 1920-30s Shriner bands… ring any reeds?

His brother said it was a double reed he played on it and that was why he thought it was an oboe but he was a bit a music servant and could have probably used a trumpet mouth piece and still made it work

whilst I was reading about when Adolphe Sax set up shop in Paris and coincidentally created an organized revolt against his attempts to improve and standardize band instruments, the document was really about Oboes.

In that document, from the Galper Society, it also briefly reviews Sarrusophones vs Boehm Oboes vs Soprano Saxophones, which I've pulled together in the attached PDF. Perfect for those days of using "useless trivia."

ahh .. the world of saxotrombas ....

Attachments

• oboesax.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It kinda looks like a hi-brid oboe/sop sax
Which is the definition of a Sarrusophone :D.

I think you're right.

I’m including pictures of your company beautiful piece with the inscription “Ms. Evette Lue?”, #288 and a picture of my grandfather, Vernon F. Hollstrom, for prosperity. Thank you for your time as I am sure you are very busy!
No, not Ms, as in Ms magazine. "Ms" as in the plural of "Mister," but in French, so "Messieurs." I can't see all the engraving to tell you if it really is "Lue." "18 & 20 Passage du Grand Cerf" is/was Buffet's address.

Value? No idea. They don't come up for sale very often. I noticed there are a couple auctioneers that have sold them in the past year. Register at them and check 'em out!

whilst I was reading about when Adolphe Sax set up shop in Paris and coincidentally created an organized revolt against his attempts to improve and standardize band instruments, the document was really about Oboes.

In that document, from the Galper Society, it also briefly reviews Sarrusophones vs Boehm Oboes vs Soprano Saxophones, which I've pulled together in the attached PDF. Perfect for those days of using "useless trivia."

ahh .. the world of saxotrombas ....
Wonderful thank you

If you are planning on selling it consider donating it to a Museum. You can get a tax writeoff if your deductions are beyond your standard deductions.

I have a couple instruments of "rarity" which will sooner or later end up at a University Museum such as the Michigan State University or, my preferable location, University of Michigan.

Like Pete said, you have to "auction" these at places where the very specific people who want them would actually bid for them.
eBay is probably not the place, though can be used.

Back
Top Bottom