Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Please Help

Does anyone know how I can smoothly go from a low F to a low Eb easily? I am using a Bb Bass Clarinet and I have small hands and I have trouble reaching the low keys for my right pinky. Everytime I try to do it I end up missing the Eb. Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated.

Hmm, how long have you been playing? I ask because on most bass clarinets you can finger those notes using either your right or left hand pinkies. Mind you I'm a sax guy who doubles on clarinet so a pro might speak up if they have any ideas other than that. Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

I have been playing for about a year and a half. When switching the bottom notes I can't reach the last key without moving my hand entirely and I end up lifting my other fingers and it messes up the sound.

Doesn't look like the Yamaha 221 has a left Eb key. I don't know if OP has a YCL-221, but that's a rather common student bass clarinet. I checked a couple other makes and they didn't have them, either. My bass clarinet playing days are far behind me, but I thought my student horns had one. Guess I'm confusing bass and contrabass in my mind.

A standard clarinet has left pinky keys like ...

OutLeft1.jpg

The alternate Eb key would be on top of the of the other keys and in the middle, like ...

GEDC0779-1.jpg

Yes, these are regular Bb soprano clarinets. I couldn't find a pic of the left pinky keys on a bass. Well, after 2 min of searching.

Anyhow, if you don't have the alternate key, a) Talk with your instructor. You might be holding the horn wrong and/or he might have some better ideas. b) You might want to talk with a repairman to see if either an alternate key can be fitted or if the existing low Eb can have an extension or something added to make it easier to hit.

^ I agree with what Pete said to do, but I think the key in question is low E flat, not the left hand alternate key like you thought it might be - an Eb with that won't exactly be low! =P
I can take a photo of both later today of my bass, if any of you want!
My Selmer has both types of Eb key, but I don't know of any student level instruments with one, just a lot with low Eb. My first bass had neither, though - same 17 keys as a soprano clarinet, only with plateaux keys!

Back
Top Bottom