Quinn is STILL Trying for a 5 Figure Sale ...

Pete: I agree.

I have heard that intonation on the old basses can be tricky, yet all the ones I've heard in person and on the old recordings (like Bix, Red Nichols, Whiteman, etc .) sounded wonderful. I've played a few too, and while I probably needed a LOT of time on them, what I did play seemed okay - at least nothing jumped out at me.

But if I had to play a modern bass (read Selmer - I don't know anything about the JK's) because of that, I'd pass on the whole idea. I mean, I don't get why one would go through the hassles of owning, storing, transporting, and playing a bass saxophone without the BOOM I hear from those old horns. The Selmers I've heard just didn't cut it, at least in MY opinion. DAVE

Eppelsheim's designs are based on nothing that has come before them.
JUSTIFICATION.

Randy owns one of those beasts. He has mentioned elsewhere -- and I think Jim agreed -- that the tone and intonation are sublime. I also like the design of the keywork, even though it's not "ball bearing design", as had been reported elsewhere: I asked Mr. Eppelsheim for clarification and he said that that wasn't correct.

The gentleman that's playing in http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297 is playing on a modern bass and I love his tone.

As I've said before, I think a lot of the tone comes from the player, himself, and then the mouthpiece. I've reviewed a bunch of CDs where the player plays each different saxophone like they're bigger/smaller versions of the alto and I don't like that style. Play that C melody like an orchestral instrument: that's it's purpose, according to A. Sax.

Hi folks, just getting back from a long weekend with visiting relatives and friends from Hawaii. Helen, you have an excellent memory.

Here are the approximate measurements although my Dial Caliper is of funky design with Inch and tenths of inches for scale. I wish I'd picked up a metric one.

Eppelsheim low A vs. Buescher TT
Length of main tube: 38.5" vs. 40"
Diameter at top of main tube: 2.25" vs. 2"
Diameter at bottom of main tube: 3.8" vs. 3.5"
Low B cup size: 4" vs. 3"

The intonation on the Eppelsheim is doable for an intermediate player such as myselft. The Buescher isn't and would take me years to tame.

Now just measure the rest of the tone holes and I'll start working on my carbon fiber tube. :D

I'm only half kidding.

Hey, he didn't specify if those were inner or outer measurements, Ed. You'd have a bit of a problem if you started working from those :).

As a man I'm used to building everything at least twice. :emoji_relaxed:

I've done that as well.

I normally don't work from a plan other than a rough sketch.

I actually say, "More power to him!"

Quinn's had a couple horns in my calendars, so I'm definitely not anti-Quinn, as some posters appear to be on SOTW (for the $100K Conn-O-Sax).
On a related note, I was fooling around on eBay and a) the Conn-O's still for sale and b) it's now $50K.

Sorry, groovekiller. This means your horn is now valued at half as much :).

Arguably, Quinn's new $50K price is a better price, as the highest price I've seen a Conn-O sell was $40K, a couple years back. Quinn's very good at selling horns, but, along with Dr. Rick's $355K sax collection (which includes a Conn-O), it was on sale at that $100K price for over a year.

Best of luck to him!

well, the bidding ended on it, and while I didn't bother to ck completed auctions I'll bet he didn't get a single one. that had to be one of the most optimistic ebay auctions I've ever seen other than some Mark VI tenor a while back they wanted $20K for to start the bidding.

don't lose hope though, he might relist with a lower reserve. reckon?

Last edited:
well, the bidding ended on it, and while I didn't bother to ck completed auctions I'll bet he didn't get a single one.
Well, as mentioned he had that $100K reserve for over a year.

No bids.

Sorry, groovekiller. This means your horn is now valued at half as much :).

Not really. Market value is determined by the actual selling price, not the asking price. I've been the first to say that most Conn-O-Sax auction prices have been way too optimistic, and I have one that some day I might sell, so I should be hyping the value, but I won't.

I've been watching the true value of Conn-O-Saxes go up about $10,000 every decade. That's enough without getting greedy.

Not really. Market value is determined by the actual selling price, not the asking price. I've been the first to say that most Conn-O-Sax auction prices have been way too optimistic, and I have one that some day I might sell, so I should be hyping the value, but I won't.

I've been watching the true value of Conn-O-Saxes go up about $10,000 every decade. That's enough without getting greedy.
And yours is a nice-enough horn, too.

"Market value" is probably a bit more complex, IMO: you've got supply and demand in there, too. In other words, if there are only about 100 (I think the number is somewhat less, but I do remember seeing research on this) Conn-O-Saxes out there that are intact and there is only one person selling, if there are NO buyers, you need to decrease the price. If there's only one buyer, and he's highly motivated, well, that's something else.

I still think that the best determining factor of how much something is worth is past sales. Yes, you can add on stuff to make the product worth more -- including service -- but, for an individual, it's very hard to determine how many people might be interested in buying X at $Y. That's why market research is a lucrative field.

Hey, if the horn was in the $100-range, I'd buy it. That's about I could afford, tho :).

Yes, I've seen some strange things on some $.99 starting auctions. Some P.O.S. horns sell for hundreds over what they ought to, and others, a particular beautiful bass sax comes to mind, barely made it over the 4 K mark.

Quinn should hang on to it. Unless he needs the cash of course. It keeps people talking about him, and that adds up to a heck of a lot of free advertising. Matt's no dummy. He knows that.

It's the Steve Goodson school of "any pub is good pub".

:p

Regarding the .99 ads, I think they're a good idea only if you really have no idea of the value of something and you'd be happy with whatever you get. A better deal is to put a reserve on the horn that you're willing to live with and/or other people think is a plausible value (in Quinn's case, say $30K) and hope for more -- and you might want to mention the reserve. If your auction doesn't meet the reserve, what this tells you is how high someone might be prepared to bid.

It's a bit more difficult to put a reserve price of, say, $1500 on a 10M and then hope for bids. I might have told you (for example) that it's worth $1500, but if you've ever watched one of those auction shows on PBS/BBC, you know that someone might say it's a $1490 horn.

Realistic reserve. That's my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom