RH 1 & 2 Bb

Before I visit the tech and spend money, I'll ask here.

This is on a Mark VI tenor. Vintage '74. Recently overhauled top to bottom. This problem just surfaced.

The Bb configuration with LH 2 and RH 1 or 2 are sharp.

Bb2 is about half way between Bb and B.

Bb3 is almost B.

The bis and side Bb fingerings sound properly as does Bb1.

(Of course, my other two Selmer tenors do not have this problem.)

Any suggestions before I head for the shop?

Is the rh 1 or 2 closing the bis key completely?

Do the key heights feel different than before the overhaul?

I'd also check the bis key closing as mentioned by Hak.

There's a little set screw that adjusts the height at which RH 1 or 2 press down the bis key. That screw was up too high. It isn't very tight in its threads, so it's bound to work its way out again.

My sax has a screw loose.

To do a quick adjustment just hold the F key gently closed and then with the other hand touch only the Bis key. Keep tightening the screw until the Bis key no longer travels up and down to the touch.

Of course a more thorough job requires a leak light and/or a feeler gauge. In our shop we use the purple Loc Tite (the weakest one) to keep adjusting screws from turning. Another trick is to remove the screw completely and put a piece of flat waxed dental floss in the hole. When the screw is reinserted and adjusted, you just cut off the ends with a razor blade.

Good diagnosis Hak.

John

To do a quick adjustment just hold the F key gently closed and then with the other hand touch only the Bis key. Keep tightening the screw until the Bis key no longer travels up and down to the touch.
What hand do I use to tighten the screw? :-D

Nail polish works for these little screws. I always carry some in my bag. Ask your wife for some nail polish and watch her confused look. :-D

You can test the integrity of your adjustments to the bridge mechanism by playing a subtone low D while opening and closing the G# key. If the sound of the subtone D changes while opening the G#, more adjustment to the bottom screw is needed.

A large ball peen hammer might do the trick.:-D

Julian

You can test the integrity of your adjustments to the bridge mechanism by playing a subtone low D while opening and closing the G# key. If the sound of the subtone D changes while opening the G#, more adjustment to the bottom screw is needed.

A large ball peen hammer might do the trick.:-D

Julian

Impact calibration is often an effective strategy:emoji_relaxed:

Precision is critical for this little screw. Too much one way, and you get the problem I reported. Too much the other way, and you lose Bb1. John's three handed approach delivered the best setting.

I asked my wife for some nail polish. There's been a guy in a dark sedan with a camera following me ever since.

My wife gave me that look of "what are you up to now?" when I asked her for some the first time. I happened to be working on a fountain pen and needed it for "gluing" an ink sac.

My wife gave me that look of "what are you up to now?" when I asked her for some the first time. I happened to be working on a fountain pen and needed it for "gluing" an ink sac.

Wusses, everyone. I go and buy my own. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom