Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Rico Metalite? What do you think of them?

I am looking at trying a Rico Metalite Tenor on a C Melody Conn. I am just interested in peoples opinions of this MPC on whichever sax they are using them on. Thanks.

Two of my saxophone playing cohorts had an extensive discussion about the Rico mouthpieces just this past week. The consensus between them was that they were legitimate enough to use, but that both had long-term stability concerns. Personally, I'd worry more about a hard rubber mouthpiece than the Ricos, but that's just me.

I avoid all stability concerns with my baritone by playing on metal mouthpieces. Stainless steel has a habit of retaining its form for a long, long, long time...

Two of my saxophone playing cohorts had an extensive discussion about the Rico mouthpieces just this past week. The consensus between them was that they were legitimate enough to use, but that both had long-term stability concerns. Personally, I'd worry more about a hard rubber mouthpiece than the Ricos, but that's just me.

I avoid all stability concerns with my baritone by playing on metal mouthpieces. Stainless steel has a habit of retaining its form for a long, long, long time...

Thanks, that makes things clear. Since I am looking for an inexpensive tenor piece to "try" on a c mel, being legitimate works is good enough for me. And at $21, a small price. I have read of a few others elsewhere using the metalite tenors on a c mel, but the web has never turned an opinion down yet. lol

If you were planning on using it on a vintage Conn Tenor, you might have some issues. The Metalite pieces are somewhat small chambered with a fairly high baffle. On an old tenor, this would likely result in extreme sharpness, as they were built in a time when large chambers were more the norm. Without getting into too technical of a discussion about chamber size, this might be just the ticket for a horn that is smaller than a tenor and bigger than an alto. That higher baffle may also make your sound rather loud and bright. Don't overlook the Rico Graftonites too. Not a bad piece for the (very low) price. YMMV.

If you were planning on using it on a vintage Conn Tenor, you might have some issues. The Metalite pieces are somewhat small chambered with a fairly high baffle. On an old tenor, this would likely result in extreme sharpness, as they were built in a time when large chambers were more the norm. Without getting into too technical of a discussion about chamber size, this might be just the ticket for a horn that is smaller than a tenor and bigger than an alto. That higher baffle may also make your sound rather loud and bright. Don't overlook the Rico Graftonites too. Not a bad piece for the (very low) price. YMMV.

That sounds like just the ticket to get some brightness out of a c mel. I have a vintage MPC with a big chamber, I have been heavily advised that it is not bright at all. Having that Rico along with the vintage piece, as well as a new Babbitt c mell piece should be all I need for a while.

I have a Conn (straight neck) + I have a Rico Metalite. I have not tried the 2 together. I'm not sure that they're compatible. Besides, if you're trying to get a real C mel sound, you're not going to get it with this small chamber mouthpiece. I could if you like, and let you know what I find.

If you want volume, and brightness, go for a Runyon C melody mouthpiece, and spend the extra 10 bucks and spring for the spoiler. It makes a big difference to the sound when I put it in the mouthpiece. Not only do I find it makes it louder, but it also makes the the sound brighter (more overtones present).

Check out this article I wrote about tone to see how I use the dark/bright terms, since many people throw these terms around, and mean different things by them.

This is another article about where tone comes from, which might be of benefit for you. It could save you a lot of money. Seriously: a lot of money.

A general comment about the Metalites: if you want to read more about them, you can find out all you wanted to know, and waaaay more, here, in a series of 13 articles I wrote on the Rico Mouthpieces in my blog.

I have a Conn (straight neck) + I have a Rico Metalite. I have not tried the 2 together. I'm not sure that they're compatible. Besides, if you're trying to get a real C mel sound, you're not going to get it with this small chamber mouthpiece. I could if you like, and let you know what I find.

If you want volume, and brightness, go for a Runyon C melody mouthpiece, and spend the extra 10 bucks and spring for the spoiler. It makes a big difference to the sound when I put it in the mouthpiece. Not only do I find it makes it louder, but it also makes the the sound brighter (more overtones present).

Check out this article I wrote about tone to see how I use the dark/bright terms, since many people throw these terms around, and mean different things by them.

This is another article about where tone comes from, which might be of benefit for you. It could save you a lot of money. Seriously: a lot of money.

A general comment about the Metalites: if you want to read more about them, you can find out all you wanted to know, and waaaay more, here, in a series of 13 articles I wrote on the Rico Mouthpieces in my blog.

Thanks for the info. I will deffinately do some reading. As for spoiler, is this what you mean: Jazz Mod , or a more specific product. That item is on my list to get. In automotive terms it's called a Velocity bump. lol Very familiar with the fluid dynamics involved with that type of structure in a "Port", eccentially the effect is the same; increasing flow(velocity) by creating a centalized venturi effect. Please let me know if there is a better version of that type. Thanks

What I meant by a spoiler, is something that is original to Runyon mouthpieces. The spoiler is a little metal reed that sits on the inside of the mouthpiece, and is custom-fitted to the mouthpiece. I have one for each of the Runyon mouthpieces I use (soprano, alto, and C melody).

I have not seen the product you've linked to on eBay before. I'd like to hear from some experienced players who have tried one what they think of it. There are lots of ways to do this yourself, and those ways will cost you less than $9.95 plus shipping. They may be better than this as well.

What I meant by a spoiler, is something that is original to Runyon mouthpieces. The spoiler is a little metal reed that sits on the inside of the mouthpiece, and is custom-fitted to the mouthpiece. I have one for each of the Runyon mouthpieces I use (soprano, alto, and C melody).

I have not seen the product you've linked to on eBay before. I'd like to hear from some experienced players who have tried one what they think of it. There are lots of ways to do this yourself, and those ways will cost you less than $9.95 plus shipping. They may be better than this as well.

I see, says the blind man. Unfortunately, I already purchased a JJ Babbitt C mel MPC. I am a decent fabricator, maybe I'll have a go at trying to make my own spoiler type device for the Babbitt piece. Looks simple enough. What type of metal is used? Thanks for your patience with my Newby inexperience. It is much appreciated.

Smith $ Wesson to the rescue. lol

After looking at a couple images on the web I cam accross this on my computer desk. lol :)

Untitled.jpg

It's the belt clip from a pocket knife I use for opening packages, and it is almost the right size and shape to work. Doubt it'll work though. :D

I see, says the blind man. Unfortunately, I already purchased a JJ Babbitt C mel MPC. I am a decent fabricator, maybe I'll have a go at trying to make my own spoiler type device for the Babbitt piece. Looks simple enough. What type of metal is used? Thanks for your patience with my Newby inexperience. It is much appreciated.

Before springing for something, play around with plasticine or some other easy to remove clay. If it works, make one in epoxy putty. But it takes skill and experience to get it right. Helen's suggestions of the Runyons with their custom spoilers is a better way forward. But not everyone likes the effect.

Hi there,

I recently buy the Rico Metalite M7 for my Tenor Sax, I use it with a Rovner ligature and a 2.5 Rico reed, but it becomes hard to play, I got to bite hard and doesn't work either. Then I return to the 1.5 reed when was beginner and it's really easy to play it. Do you have any sugestion about what reed or ligature combination?

If it's really made of Babbitt alloy, be very careful with anything that may generate heat around same. True Babbitt alloy will "go soft" while still outwardly retaining its form, and then collapse into metallic mush.

Hi there,

I recently buy the Rico Metalite M7 for my Tenor Sax, I use it with a Rovner ligature and a 2.5 Rico reed, but it becomes hard to play, I got to bite hard and doesn't work either. Then I return to the 1.5 reed when was beginner and it's really easy to play it. Do you have any sugestion about what reed or ligature combination?

Have you tried it with a Rico 2?

Back
Top Bottom