Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Rico Reserve Classics

I really like these on my B45 mpc. Using the 3.5+ strength, although I could almost use a 4. They seem to respond better than the Vandoren blue box 3.5's I have played for years. Any other thoughts on these reeds? May have to change my signature soon.

I know this is an oldie. But you're not alone, a lot of people I've spoken with have reported similar things with the rico reserve classics, I personally haven't tried them (I've tried the rico royal with no luck) but I've heard mixed views. They seem like a hate it or love it deal.
Reeds, like horns, vary between musicians and setups. One man's trash is another man's treasure I suppose.

I do have issues with response with the Vandoren blue box 3.5s, but that has improved with the Vandoren Rue Lepic 56 3.5s. I like those better.

I've been trying a box of 3.5 RR classics. Seem to get one good blow out of them then they are useless. This will be my last box. I'll stick with Lavoz til something better comes along.

Well see, that's the thing. Reeds are a mystical creature, they truly are, and nobody will ever know what really goes on inside their little world.
But most of all things, reeds like to mess with ya.
Nothing a reed likes seeing more than an aggravated, red-faced musician.

It's funny - on clarinet I have played LaVoz for over 40 years with no complaints. I tried Fibracells and Legeres briefly, but didn't like them at all.

On sax, I went round and round with multiple different brands. I settled on Hemkes for a few years, but got tired of only getting two good ones in a box of five. I switched to Fibracells about eight years ago, and wouldn't go back to cane for anything. A couple years ago, I boxed up all my unused cane reeds and gave them to a busker that plays outside the Northwestern railroad station in Chicago. I also gave him a couple of ligatures, since he was using scotch tape to hold his reed in place! He was very grateful.

I've been blowing Lavoz MH since the 80's on clarinet for most things, but the last few years I've switched to Fibracell for big band and pit work. Sound isn't quite there, but it always plays, no matter how long it has been sitting on the stand.

I've been blowing Lavoz MH since the 80's on clarinet for most things, but the last few years I've switched to Fibracell for big band and pit work. Sound isn't quite there, but it always plays, no matter how long it has been sitting on the stand.

I tried that for a while, but most of the time my clarinet work is blowing a Benny Goodman solo on Sing, Sing, Sing or Don't Be That Way. I found that the Fibracell response in the altissimo register just wasn't there. I need to be able to play that double B.

I tried that for a while, but most of the time my clarinet work is blowing a Benny Goodman solo on Sing, Sing, Sing or Don't Be That Way. I found that the Fibracell response in the altissimo register just wasn't there. I need to be able to play that double B.
I've been playing on cleaned up and opened Lakeys for that sort of thing. A soft seems to work well for the screaming highs, bit of a buzz kill for moonlight serenade though. Too much tip for all the sustained phrases.

I've been playing on cleaned up and opened Lakeys for that sort of thing. A soft seems to work well for the screaming highs, bit of a buzz kill for moonlight serenade though. Too much tip for all the sustained phrases.

Yes, I've been playing on a John Pierce (1.40 mm) for big band. Easy transition back to sax, and a big sound, but not particularly "pretty". I tried to play the Mozart Concerto with it one day, and nearly puked. Quite a bit different than my old Woodwind Co. G8.

I've got a Morgan RM28 I need to get busy on. That one might be a good crossover piece.

Back
Top Bottom