Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Roffee Low C bass clarinets

While a bass clarinet isn't a C soprano clarinet, that might be a good review to start from. Notice the warning, "Be aware that this this clarinet brand has been shown to be variable in quality." Considering that they're sold through Amazon, you could probably return it if it's really, really bad. Do also note that the Kessler low C bass clarinet is much cheaper ($3800 vs $2250) and has had a bunch of good reviews. The Ridenour basses are also considerably less expensive ($2900) and have good reviews. You might want to consider those and see if those dealers would let you trial one.

Couple other comments:
* I played bass clarinet for a few years and never encountered a low C in any piece. YMMV, but adding that low C adds a lot of price.
* If you're non-pro, you should ask a pro or your instructor to test. Heck, even if you're a pro, ask your instructor to give you a second opinion.
* You still might be disappointed in either of these three horns vs a Buffet, Leblanc, Selmer, or Yamaha pro horn. Personally, I'd hate to throw away $3800 and spend an additional $5000 - $9000 in a year or two.
* If you already have a bass and you don't like it for whatever reason, you might want to have a good woodwind tech give it a look and see if there's some mechanical issue. I'm fairly sure that even a very intense overhaul will be less than $2250.
* If you already have a bass and it's in good working order, but you still hate it, you might want to try a different mouthpiece and/or reed. Seriously, this can make a big difference in playability.

Back
Top Bottom