Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Sax mute. Anyone use them? Alto on C mel?

I live in an apartment, so obviously my woodwind volume will be an issue. I have been looking at these: Cheap Sax Mute. I have never seen a mute used on a sax, and I doubt I've heard a muted sax. Though I'd imagine, the quality of this mute wouldn't matter much as long as it provides an adequate obstruction. Anyone use one? How well does it work, and how poorly does it affect sound quality? I have also seen the type of mute that looks like a cloth ring, that I can probably make myself(I sew fine). Any experience there?

I've seen the "Mute" cases and gig bags, but I cannot afford one anytime soon. I need to buy two c mel sax bags/cases and posibly a clarinet case.

Should this alto mute fit a C mel bell? The soprano version is obviously too small, and the tenor too big.

The reason why the "donut"-style mutes aren't used much anymore is because ... they don't do much more than make your bell key notes play out of tune. That's why there are things like this.

If you think about it, stuffing a mute into a sax ell doesn't make too much sense: you've got all those open holes and that's where the sound's coming out of, so you'd really want to put a mute around the entire sax or maybe in the neck. The former, as you can see from my linky, is expensive. The latter never really took off.

You're a handyman. Build yourself a soundproof chamber. They do sell those, too, just for musicians.

Yep, I do have plaus for the Case type mute. That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I figure the donut mute might not work, just curious if there is a possiblity that it would be worth the $8. But you pointed out the sound holes, that brings about another point as well. An obstruction in the bell will also certainly alter the tune entirely, as it modifies the fluid dynamics emensly.

There is this: El Saxco Saxaphone Silent Practice and Gig bag. Problem is, I have yet to see any "Case" type mute for the c mel. Which begins the inevitable debate of whether an alto or tenor will be the best fit. Probably neither. Cool idea none the less.

In my university band all of the altos and tenors used the donut style "mutes" at the conductor's request in order to blend better with the other instruments. Rather than reduce the volume, this type of mute espoused by Marcel Mule actually cuts some of the higher harmonics in the sound that are above the cutoff frequency and travel straight out of the bell.

I used this type of mute for all of my solo and recital work in college because my concept of a classical sound is more toward the darker and warmer end of the spectrum. When a piece I was playing required a low Bb, I would simply rotate the mute 90 degrees allowing the pitch to be acceptable.

Talking about a darker sound, 3-4 years ago I went to a Lee Konitz concert in Bern. Apart from the fact that Lee was very bad tempered this day, his sound was, to me, strangely muffled, far away from that I was accustomed to...until we saw that he had put a fairly large towel into his bell. Forgot it ? Nope; he took it away after two songs, played another...and put it back, and back to the muffled sound. And back to the topic: no noticeable difference, decibelwise, between the two versions.
BTW, did you know Lee was a gifted comedian ? I didn't until I saw this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyM5bbQusJI&feature=fvwrel

J

In my university band all of the altos and tenors used the donut style "mutes" at the conductor's request in order to blend better with the other instruments. Rather than reduce the volume, this type of mute espoused by Marcel Mule actually cuts some of the higher harmonics in the sound that are above the cutoff frequency and travel straight out of the bell.

I used this type of mute for all of my solo and recital work in college because my concept of a classical sound is more toward the darker and warmer end of the spectrum. When a piece I was playing required a low Bb, I would simply rotate the mute 90 degrees allowing the pitch to be acceptable.
First, I can definitely accept the "harmonics" argument. Can't confirm or deny, but I have some knowledge of how to use a brick wall filter and I'd assume this is the same idea. You've also given me something to tell folks when they whine and say that the Yamahas are too bright :D.

Second, I'll go with the "rotate the mute" comment: mute=intonation challenge. Just don't want to get that point buried. I can understand the 90 degree turn making it better: you've made the last tone hole closer in size to what it's supposed to be.

Third, because we've got three folks in agreement: the donut mute really isn't doing much for you, volume-wise.

=========

Backing up and going forward, LowThudd, one of the things that some folks do with vintage saxophones is tossing a plastic mouthpiece cap, plastic end cap or a wine cork in the bell. Why? To make the low notes easier to play. Also, some folks really gurgle low notes. The cork/plastic generally eliminates that.

Thanks to all. That is ALL very usefull info. I have a line on a gig bag type mute for £99 including delivery from the UK. However, as expected, only the alto and tenor versions exist. here is the item: http://www.bill-lewington.com/silentsax.htm

What do you think?

Just saw this:
SaxMute alto Magilanck
. Looks more like you were describing Pete. Think it'll work as advertised?

Just saw this:
SaxMute alto Magilanck
. Looks more like you were describing Pete. Think it'll work as advertised?
Will it cut down on the volume? Probably. Will you be able to play the horn like normal? Probably not. Why? because it's reducing air flowing through the horn. That means that notes will be harder to hit. How much harder will be dependent on how much airflow is restricted.

Perfect solution: soundproof room
Very decent solution: all-body plastic/abs mute with built-in audio
Decent solution: the all-body thing you're getting
OK solution: the thing you mention here
Not much of a solution: donut mute

Of course, you could just play quieter ....

Will it cut down on the volume? Probably. Will you be able to play the horn like normal? Probably not. Why? because it's reducing air flowing through the horn. That means that notes will be harder to hit. How much harder will be dependent on how much airflow is restricted.

Beg to differ. The one I had had no effect due to airflow restrictions. What was a pain was playign through the pocket like slits in the side, with elastic around your wrists. Didn't really affect finger movement, surprisingly.

Perfect solution: soundproof room
Very decent solution: all-body plastic/abs mute with built-in audio
Decent solution: the all-body thing you're getting
OK solution: the thing you mention here
Not much of a solution: donut mute
Lucrative solution: practice in a pedestrian underpass. Have a cardboard sign that says something insightful like "saving for soundproof practice chamber". :cool:

Lucrative solution: practice in a pedestrian underpass. Have a cardboard sign that says something insightful like "saving for soundproof practice chamber". :cool:
"I'll give you a dollar if you stop playing right now."

"I'll give you a dollar if you stop playing right now."

That might just work for me. I haven't played more that three notes in a row yet and my Bruno currently has no pads in it. Sounds like a nicely toned Army buggle. lol

Back
Top Bottom