Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Sax sextets with bass sax

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I just got a copy of Frank Macchia's new CD, "Saxolollapalooza." It's an interesting collection of jazz and pop tunes written for 6 woodwinds and drums. I checked Franks website, and all of the arrangements are for sale (scroll down on Frank's page.)

http://www.frankmacchia.net/music-store.php

Most of the tunes are written for 2 altos, 2 tenors, baritone and bass, which means you can add a bass sax to the standard sax section plus drums and Voila! Instant bass sax gig.

The recording uses the best L.A. players with Peter Erskine on drums.

Thanks for the heads-up--I'll have to get a copy. I didn't know until I bought my contra-alto clarinet from him that Frank lives about five minutes from me. Cool guy.

Definitely didn't know that. Jay Mason sent me the Macchia CD, and a the arrangements for Swing Low, Riverside and Airmail special. Cool stuff there.

Thanks for the heads up Randy

Thanks for the heads-up--I'll have to get a copy. I didn't know until I bought my contra-alto clarinet from him that Frank lives about five minutes from me. Cool guy.
Now you've done it. I'm jealous. :cool:

Did you know that some of the Nuclear Whales' arrangements are available for sale? Check their website.
Hmm... no sheet music on the STORE part of the site. There's pointers to the store to buy sheet music, but I don't see it, just CDs. Also a search on Amazon was unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Now you've done it. I'm jealous. :cool:

Hmm... no sheet music on the STORE part of the site. There's pointers to the store to buy sheet music, but I don't see it, just CDs. Also a search on Amazon was unsuccessful.

You'r right. The charts have disappeared from the store, but I know they are still available. Check the whales site again and contact Don Stevens.

Back
Top Bottom