Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Saxophobia: Fun with Vintage Horns and Sax Relatives

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Always finding interesting stuff when I'm looking for something else.

First, of course Helen's already posted a part of this. I'm just adding some stuff.

==========

There are two different "Saxophobia" "touring" groups:

Rob Verdi, who I've actually met and spent some time with, has a few interesting horns, like a Conn-O-Sax, Grafton Acrylic Alto, slide saxophones, an original Evette-Schaeffer Eb contrabass, etc.

Website (there's a small sized video there, too)
Check out his YouTube Channel, too. He's got some bigger vids and a concert where a few of his collection are being played.

============

Attilio Berni has had a project with the same name, but he has a LOT more horns.

Website. He has pictures of most of his horns and has a few for sale. He allowed me to have several of his horns on saxpics.com, too.
DVD website. I believe it's a 2-DVD set. A 12 min sample video is there.
YouTube Channel. There are several videos there.

Attilio Berni has had a project with the same name, but he has a LOT more horns.

Yes, but Rob Verdi has really nice and really rare horns, and he's a world-class saxophone artist. He's also a nice cat.

When I was restoring the slide saxophone Helen found, it had one missing part. Rob sent me several photos of the part (The ring that is the "handle" for the slide) on Rob's identical slide sax. The part was easy to fabricate, and now my horn is complete.

BTW Randy, just thought I'd mention this since you're downsizing, please send me an email if you ever decide to sell the slide sax. I'd like first crack at it please... Thanks...

Yes, but Rob Verdi has really nice and really rare horns, and he's a world-class saxophone artist. He's also a nice cat.
+1 on that, definitely. However, IMO, his style of playing the "odder" horns, like the Conn-O-Sax, makes the horns sound like, well, the same sax with different ranges. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that -- and a lot of players play that way -- but I think you can do more with the tone color. Of course, Mr. V plays a lot (or mostly) jazz. The Conn-O, for instance, is more leaning toward classical. That could make a difference, too.

I think that the visuals go a long way with both of these "Saxophobia" projects. I might have to get Mr. Berni's DVDs.

Back
Top Bottom