Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Selmer Saxophone Prices on ebay

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
For the 5 billionth time.

What I occasionally do is hit ebay and look for the most expensive instruments listed. This is what I saw today:

Screenshot_2018-09-02_15-54-39.png

Now, I'm obviously not including the Quinn ad in this discussion, as the S80 Serie II Model 56 bass he's posted is less than list, but $150,000? $30,000? Really? Well, the guy that wants to sell the broken $150K SBA does have 500+ pictures ...

Sold my relaq Mk VI tenor in 2001 for $2,200. I bought it in 1984 for $1,400 - had to pledge the title of my car to get a loan. It was bad one. Ugly orange lacquer, stuffy, with a lot of warble in the low notes. I probably put $500 in it over the years with various techs trying to get it to play better. Wish I knew better back then. I just bought into the hype. I've never regretted selling it.

I think the first generation Series III horns are some of the best ones out there. I have played 5 or 6 (own 2), and every one was great. Free blowing, great intonation, and really comfortable ergonomics. Used ones don't come up for sale often, but when they do, you can get one for $3 - $4K.

On a related note, when did everyone start calling their horns, "The holy grail"?

I've mentioned before that Selmer would tell you that the horns they make today are better than the Mark VI. In any case, if any one of these Selmers in my screen shot sell and you own a Balanced Action through Mark VI, I'd recommend selling.

Sorry, I just can't relate to the idea that there is only one sax out there that will work for anyone. Some people are their own worst enemies. Don't get me wrong, there are instrument makers that I favor, but then I'm not a struggling musician living hand to mouth.

*** With tongue firmly planted in cheek*** : My Mark VIs are the best! They simply beat the competion hands down. I will never sell them.... OK, I would, but only for 150,000 or maybe $200,000 each!

Sigh....

Back
Top Bottom