Selmer USA bass clarinet model woes

I was just lucky enough to inherit a bass clarinet in excellent condition, however, going down the rabbit hole of attempting to identify the model beyond "It's a Selmer USA" has me going in circles. I was able to identify all of my late uncle's other obscure saxes and clarinets easily but this one has sent me for a loop. I thought it was a 1430P or 1430LP, but every single one I've seen has the "1430P" or "1430LP" marked right below Selmer USA. Serial number is 81824, though that hasn't gotten me anywhere with a few hours of google-fu. Pictures included, I'd really appreciate help in figuring out what this horn is exactly so I can get it to someone who can play and appreciate it, thanks much in advance!

Attachments

• 20210913_175151.jpg
    20210913_175151.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 229
  • 20210913_175247.jpg
    20210913_175247.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 228
  • 20210913_172719.jpg
    20210913_172719.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • 20210913_172702.jpg
    20210913_172702.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 219
I'm still going to go with 1430P. There is a Bundy 1430 that has just the Selmer USA stamp, which I just lost the link on; sorry (but you can see this one). Here's another where the seller doesn't mention Bundy. There's an 83xxx horn listed on ebay where the seller calls it a 1430P. Here's a 1430P with no stamp at all.

Opinions ahead:
* Your horn has the satin, not shiny, finish. That's relatively new. I'd say post 2000ish, but I don't generally look for bass clarinets, so I could be plus or minus a few years.
* I think that I remember hearing that the "scalloped" keys (i.e. for xxx|xxx) are post 1990.
* If I was going to sell the horn, I'd put "1430 / 1430P" in the ad or contact conn-selmer.com and get a definitive model name and year manufactured. Remember that "Selmer USA," i.e. Conn-Selmer, and "Selmer Paris" are two different companies.

I have never seen a Selmer USA serial number chart for bass clarinets. Saxophones, up to a point (and possibly still do), followed the Buescher serial number chart. Note that harmony clarinets, which are generally alto clarinet and bass clarinet, tend to follow a serial number chart that's different from the Bb soprano, i.e. "regular clarinet," serial number chart.

I like the cosmetic condition of the horn. If you intend to play it, I'd take it in to your local music store and see how much you'd have to spend to get it in perfect mechanical shape. If you're planning on selling, you'd probably just want playing shape.

I'm still going to go with 1430P. There is a Bundy 1430 that has just the Selmer USA stamp, which I just lost the link on; sorry (but you can see this one). Here's another where the seller doesn't mention Bundy. There's an 83xxx horn listed on ebay where the seller calls it a 1430P. Here's a 1430P with no stamp at all.

Opinions ahead:
* Your horn has the satin, not shiny, finish. That's relatively new. I'd say post 2000ish, but I don't generally look for bass clarinets, so I could be plus or minus a few years.
* I think that I remember hearing that the "scalloped" keys (i.e. for xxx|xxx) are post 1990.
* If I was going to sell the horn, I'd put "1430 / 1430P" in the ad or contact conn-selmer.com and get a definitive model name and year manufactured. Remember that "Selmer USA," i.e. Conn-Selmer, and "Selmer Paris" are two different companies.

I have never seen a Selmer USA serial number chart for bass clarinets. Saxophones, up to a point (and possibly still do), followed the Buescher serial number chart. Note that harmony clarinets, which are generally alto clarinet and bass clarinet, tend to follow a serial number chart that's different from the Bb soprano, i.e. "regular clarinet," serial number chart.

I like the cosmetic condition of the horn. If you intend to play it, I'd take it in to your local music store and see how much you'd have to spend to get it in perfect mechanical shape. If you're planning on selling, you'd probably just want playing shape.
Really appreciate the help, I know next to nothin about bass clarinets and had to suddenly research it all myself. Can't play it myself unfortunately, much as I dont wanna part with my late uncle's last horn, Im just a piano guy. Thanks again!

Reactions: JfW
My wife recently got a second hand Selmer bass clarinet that likewise says only Selmer USA . I'm assuming it falls between the models that put Bundy Selmer and those that put Selmer 1430 L , although when that was I'm not really sure . As far as I can make out ,these models are all without any significant distinctions ( I may be wrong about that ) , but if they are then the condition of the horn is all that really matters .

Yours looks in great shape so...congratulations

Back
Top Bottom