Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

So, how did I do?

As of this moment, I have never put a flute to my lip. Or must I use the term embouchure? I am totally ignorant of woodwinds in general and flutes in particular, but that has never stopped me in the past. I have bought a used flute in very good condition with the exception of a few pads that will need replacement. It is a Yamaha YFL -22, and I got it for what appears to be a very reasonable price and I am anxiously awaiting its' arrival. I ordered the instrument and then arranged with a repair tech to do an overhaul on it. The entire package including the pad replacement, any necessary cork replacement and a clean,l oil and adjust cost me less than $180.00. Now I have read and been told that Yamaha instruments in general and the Yamaha flutes in particular make for very good instruments to learn on, but I am going on information coming mostly from strangers and their true level of knowledge is unknown. So, now that I have committed to the buy I am once again relying on total strangers with unknown levels of expertise to make me feel warm and fuzzy about my purchase, or at least to say that I wasn’t completely stupid about it. I understand that buying a used instrument on line is a pig in the poke type of deal, but I am assuuming that the overhaul will mitigate that. I also am told that this particular flute does not have a "split E" what ever that is. See there, I told you that I knew nothing about these things. I was told that this wouldn't really cause me any problems until I was ready to advance to a higher grade insrument. Also, in looking at the selling prices of flutes in that catagory, I figure that if it turns out to be a lemon, I can sell it and regain most of my investment. So please tell me, is my reasoning at least semi-sound and what am I forgetting?

As of this moment, I have never put a flute to my lip. Or must I use the term embouchure? I am totally ignorant of woodwinds in general and flutes in particular, but that has never stopped me in the past. I have bought a used flute in very good condition with the exception of a few pads that will need replacement. It is a Yamaha YFL -22, and I got it for what appears to be a very reasonable price and I am anxiously awaiting its' arrival. I ordered the instrument and then arranged with a repair tech to do an overhaul on it. The entire package including the pad replacement, any necessary cork replacement and a clean,l oil and adjust cost me less than $180.00. Now I have read and been told that Yamaha instruments in general and the Yamaha flutes in particular make for very good instruments to learn on, but I am going on information coming mostly from strangers and their true level of knowledge is unknown. So, now that I have committed to the buy I am once again relying on total strangers with unknown levels of expertise to make me feel warm and fuzzy about my purchase, or at least to say that I wasn’t completely stupid about it. I understand that buying a used instrument on line is a pig in the poke type of deal, but I am assuuming that the overhaul will mitigate that. I also am told that this particular flute does not have a "split E" what ever that is. See there, I told you that I knew nothing about these things. I was told that this wouldn't really cause me any problems until I was ready to advance to a higher grade insrument. Also, in looking at the selling prices of flutes in that catagory, I figure that if it turns out to be a lemon, I can sell it and regain most of my investment. So please tell me, is my reasoning at least semi-sound and what am I forgetting?

Paragraphs.

In short, you won't know 'til you have the instrument in your hands and get a few lessons.

Back
Top Bottom