Source(s) for vintage screws, rods etc...

I am looking for LOT's of small parts for two 20's conn stencil c mels. Mostly, I am having trouble finding the proper pivot screws and rods. Anyone have a good source for these and other parts?

IMGP0228.jpg

Did you try Ferree's or Allied?

I guess I am looking for a source that has parts listed on the web. Allied's catalog is not out yet. Feree does not list parts on their web site. I hate to have to call and ask every time I need some part, and I like to be able price check between different sources. After 20 years of doing things online, I guess I just don't have patience for disorganized or difficult web sites and business. If they have their (parts)catalog online, please let me know where.

I am also used to ordering online and since it's international orders for me calling is a lot more problematic (second language, time zone, etc.). Although ordering from them is a bit slower than just clicking some buttons on the computer, it's really not that difficult.

What you want seems to be that every part you might ever want will be available for comfortable online ordering and AFAIK this simply doesn't exist right now. So if I can do these international orders I'm sure you can do them much more easily inside USA.

AFAIK Ferree's prices for screws are not in their prixe list because they change a lot. Allied lists everything in their price list. I would like just call/email/fax once to ask for their catalogue and price lists (from both Ferree's and Allied) and then look there if they have what you want. Or you can download Ferree's catalogue which is online in PDF (if I remember they have their entire catalogue in PDF now, but not sure).

I think that specific type of screws you need I got some from Kraus, which not only doesn't have have online ordering, but sells only to "official" repairers/music stores/repair schools, doesn't accpet credit cards and has a $100 minimum for interntional orders... I don't think that particular screw is available from anywhere that allows online ordering, sorry.

Ferree's are good by email. And the quality of many on-line parts sites makes their email preferable to many on-line sites I've had to use.

Many times when you want screw rods there are usually only a couple good solutions

[1] buy an old parts horn. I try to stay away from this, a few years ago I tried to buy some buffet parts clarinets but the going prices for those are quite high, and many can be refurbished and brought back to life. But old low demand saxes are a different story (though you still have to pay for shipping etc which brings the total parts price up). Of course a slightly different model may have slightly different parts.

[2] learn to make rod screws yourself. This can also be a daunting task because we are talking about hardened steel. Your normal file and stuff won't work on creating a "ledge" in which you then have to create threads with a threader. The cost for this can climb quite quickly. The parts horn solution looks to be a quicker route, assuming the horn is exactly the same.

To do this you have to see first the available tool steel rods that are available. Bottom right, the Stack Rods.
http://www.ferreestools.com/index_files/Page74.htm

Back
Top Bottom