Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Staccato tonguing high altissimo C and D

I'm trying to play staccato on high altissimo C and D. Even when I practice them slowly, I can't get the tonguing right. No other notes are a problem. Any pointers?

What instrument are we talking about? If clarinet are you talking about C two ledger lines above the staff and the D above it, or the octave above that.

What instrument are we talking about? If clarinet are you talking about C two ledger lines above the staff and the D above it, or the octave above that.

Bb Clarinet. Two (D) and three ledger lines above the staff (E). More clarification. I'm trying to play eight staccato 8th notes (D) in succession and eight staccato notes in succession (E). I also need to be able to play three adjacent staccato notes: D (two ledger lines above the staff) to G (4 lines above the staff) back down to to D (two ledger lines above the staff).

That sounds a bit challenging. My best advice would be to start very slowly on just D doing the tut tut tut thing. Then slowly doing the same thing on E. After that perhaps alternating notes. The G is a tough one, but once you have the D and E under control it may be a bit easier.

Another exercise might be to play long short long short (tah tut tah tut) over and over to get a feel for the difference in tonguing.

Disclaimer: I used to be a pretty good clarinet player 20 some years ago, but I have let my skills slip due to a major focus on sax.

Your post made me pull out my Kell Staccato Studies book and have-at-it!
High D/E (on your Bb clarinet) shouldn't be much different from staccato tonguing
except
if you are raising the back of your tongue to bring the pitch up (from your clar high C on up) and in doing so that would change the orientation (position) of the tip of your tongue
also
raising your tongue too much will impede your air-flow somewhat.

When staccato-ing I concentrate on the rebound of the tongue, not so much the attack.
The less-tongue you use the better.
Tip of the tongue to tip of the reed!

As an aside, I had to pull out the clarinet a couple of weeks ago to play Hava Nagila for a wedding. It's a good thing I started working on it two weeks before, because my clarinet chops had deserted me after a long layoff. I managed to get through it after some practice. Now I'm afraid to pull out the bass clarinet because I haven't played it in over a year.

Hava Nagila in C- (concert)??
(That's the key I used to play it in when I was doing GB.)
D harmonic minor is a great key to jam on Bb clar...

Back
Top Bottom