Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Tech Tips

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
From time to time I discover an easy way to improve how a saxophone works. The latest is to wrap the neck tightening screw with plumber's teflon. It improves the feel and effectiveness of the screw.

If it takes more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the screw once it begins to feel "snug" to keep the neck from turning, the upper portion of the neck tenon needs to be expanded.

John

Hey John,

Related question. I have to turn the neck tightening screw really hard to keep the neck on my Series III alto from turning during play---so hard that I'm afraid I'll strip it. Is there any risk to the instrument in asking a tech to expand the neck tenon? Is this a pretty routine thing for a tech, or do I have to seek out special expertise? As is probably obvious, I'm not very knowledgeable about anything beyond routine care of the saxophone.

Thanks for your advise.
Ruth

Expanding a neck tenon is a common repair and if done by a professional poses no risk to the instrument. If yours is that loose it may be leaking air. If that is the case you will notice a greatly improved response after the neck is fit properly. In our area the charge is around $20 to $30 for this service.

John

Back
Top Bottom